Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger 2.7l V6. recently while

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger 2.7l V6. recently while attempting to jump start the car, the terminals on the running car were reversed (positive to negative/negative to positive). There is no continuity between positive alternator terminal & battery positive, the alternator puts out 44v & the turn signal, high beams, horn, cruise control & windshield wipers all do not work. Can you please help me troubleshoot?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Everytime the battery is jumped and the terminals are reversed, it will blow fuses on board the vehicle. It usually will blown many different fuses so be sure to check all of the fuses in the power distribution center under the hood and the fuse block inside the vehicle. I bet you will find one or more blown fuses. Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked all fuses & wiper relay.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no problem. I can help you pinpoint this problem. Start by checking for power on all of these circuits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My priority is with the charging system issue. I've read on your site about a fusible link which could be the problem cause I have no continuity between battery & alternator but also my alternator was putting out 44v. Any recommendations?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I have never seen an alternator charge at 44 volts. In addition if it does not have power going to it, it cannot charge. It is as simple as that. I suspect that the reading you got was incorrect. I would recommend to double check the voltage reading.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Anyway, yes, there is a fusible link between the battery and alternator. It is number A802. Here is a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this easily repaired?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YES, once it is confirmed that the fusible link it is bad, it simply just gets replaced. YES, it is a very simple repair.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused you're telling me an alternator doesn't put out any power unless power is going to it? I thought that was the point of an alternator to generate electric power...
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The alternator needs battery voltage in order to work correctly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a quote given on the fusible link which was almost 1k, is there a cheaper work around? I've read something similar on this site....
here's a link:
http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/41d08b255520451ba8ba6fd83ddb1bfcWhat part would I be asking for going into a parts store?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You would need a fusible link. I believe the sizes come in numbers. The wiring diagram says 8. Or you can remove the fusible link yourself and bring it to a parts department so they can match it up with a new one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's a fix on the charging system. Can you help me diagnose the wiper/turn signal/horn issue?
Basically nothing from the clockspring is working. I've check all fuses & replaced the clockspring.
This all happened from jumper cables being crossed.
Any suggestions?Thanks for the fusible link help!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! If the clock spring has been replaced, then I suspect that this is caused by a bad front control module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed out the FCM, still no luck with any of the clockspring controls..
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then you will have to do some testing to pinpoint the problem. Do you need some help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah, I have no idea where to start.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, have you checked for codes in any of the modules on board the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not. I don't have the diagnostic tool for that. Wouldn't a light on the dash illuminate if there were any error codes?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

NO, only the check engine light will come on if there is a code in the PCM related to the emissions.