Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan and I just filled up with

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan and I just filled up with gas (med grade) and when I was started from a stop sign the van kicked and sputtered 3 times, then ran normally. Then, about an hour later, I pulled out into traffic from a stop sign and the van totally lost power. It was difficult to steer, but I got it to the center ***** ***** and was able to get it re-started after a couple of trys. I have been having trouble with the engine light coming on, saying its the O2 sensor. I have had 4 O2 sensors replaced, the computer re-flashed, spending over $700 on it. Then, the engine light goes off for a while after I fill up the gas tank and when it gets to about 1/2 full, it comes on again. Don't know if the engine light and the total loss of power are connected. Any ideas before I take it back in?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Recently had my van in for a once over, I had ran over a median and took out the transmission pan. My husband replaced and the repair shop said it looked fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. YES, the check engine light and stalling condition can be related. However, I would not know for sure without looking at it myself or without knowing the code number or numbers stored in the computer. Your first step would be to check the codes in the computer.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Some possible causes would be a bad fuel pump (which is very common), bad cam or crank sensor or a bad throttle body/TPS sensor causing this stalling condition.