Christopher Trevino
Christopher Trevino,
Experience:  Field Service Technician at Crown Lift Trucks
85436572

Where do the drum brake shoes line up around the rear hub on

Customer Question

Where do the drum brake shoes line up around the rear hub on a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7L engine. Set up includes 1 sprig on top and 2 springs on bottom. Having trouble with repositioning (or realigning ) new brake shoes into the activator for parking brake. Any hints or helpful steps would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 11 months ago.

Hello there , I saw your question here and I'd like to help. Do you have any pictures you can post here? Does one of your brake shoes have a metal lever attached that connects to the park brake cable?

Hi there , you may find this information helpful. Please review, and let me know if I can help in any other way.

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Remove the disc brake caliper.
  4. Remove the disc brake rotor.

1. Lockout the parking brake cable.

1. Disengage the park brake cable from behind the rotor assembly to allow easier disassembly of the park brake shoe.

1. Remove the axle shaft.

1. Disassemble the rear park brake shoes.

CLEANING - REAR DRUM IN HAT BRAKE
Clean the individual brake components, including the support plate exterior, with a water dampened cloth or with brake cleaner. Do not use any other cleaning agents. Remove light rust and scale from the brake shoe contact pads on the support plate with fine sandpaper.

INSPECTION - REAR DRUM IN HAT BRAKE
As a general rule, riveted brake shoes should be replaced when worn to within 0.78 mm (1/32 in.) of the rivet heads. Bonded lining should be replaced when worn to a thickness of 1.6 mm (1/16 in.) .

Examine the lining contact pattern to determine if the shoes are bent or the drum is tapered. The lining should exhibit contact across its entire width. Shoes exhibiting contact only on one side should be replaced and the drum checked for runout or taper.

Inspect the adjuster screw assembly. Replace the assembly if the star wheel or threads are damaged, or the components are severely rusted or corroded.

Discard the brake springs and retainer components if worn, distorted or collapsed. Also replace the springs if a brake drag condition had occurred. Overheating will distort and weaken the springs.

Inspect the brake shoe contact pads on the support plate, replace the support plate if any of the pads are worn or rusted through. Also replace the plate if it is bent or distorted.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: On a new vehicle or after parking brake lining replacement, it is recommended that the parking brake system be conditioned prior to use. This is done, by making one stop from 25 mph on dry pavement or concrete using light to moderate force on the parking brake foot pedal.

1. Reassemble the rear park brake shoes.
  2. Install the axle shaft.
  3. Install the park brake cable to the lever behind the support plate.
  4. Unlock the park brake cable.
  5. Install the disc brake rotor.
  6. Install the disc brake caliper.
  7. Adjust the rear brake shoes.
  8. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  9. Lower the vehicle.

Also just FYI , I believe I remember doing these without removing the axle, just a bit more tight in there.

thank you so much.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This would be more helpful if it showed how to remove axle. More detail would be appreciated.

Just to be clear, if possible I would try to remove the springs without removing the axle. Its just more work and I remember doing these without removing the axle. But if you must remove the axle, heres what you will need to do:

TOOLS

REAR AXLE 9 1/4

AXLE SHAFTS

REMOVAL

(1)Place transmission in neutral.

(2)Raise and support the vehicle.

(3)Remove wheel and tire assembly.

(4)Remove brake caliper. adapter and rotor (Fig. 19).

(5)Remove differential housing cover and drain lubricant.

(6)Rotate differential case so pinion mate shaft lock screw is accessible. Remove lock screw and pinion mare shaft from differential case (Fig. 20).

(7)Push axle shaft inward and remove axle shaft C-lock from the axle shaft (Fig. 21).

(8)Remove axle shaft (Fig. 22) carefully to prevent damage to the shaft bearing and seal in the axle tube

INSTALLATION

(1)Lubricate bearing bore and seal lip with gear lubricant.

(2)Install axle shaft and engage into side gear splines.

NOTE : Use care to prevent shaft splines from dam- aging axle shaft seal.

(3)Insert C-lock in end of axle shaft then push axle shaft outward to seat C-lock in side gear.

(4)Insert pinion shaft into differential case and through thrust washers and differential pinions.

(5)Align hole in shaft with hole in the differential case and install lock screw with Lottite5 on the threads. Tighten lock strew to 11 N.m (8ft. lbs.).

(6)Install differential rover and fill with gear lubricant to the bottom of the fill plug hole.

(7)Install brake rotor, caliper adapter and caliper.

(8)Install wheel and tire.

(9)Remove support and lower vehicle.

Hello again, how did everything work out? If all is well would you kindly rate my services? If not, please reply so I can further assist you here. Have a great day. Thank you!