Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

I've got the upper and lower shrouds removed from my '01 2wd

Customer Question

I've got the upper and lower shrouds removed from my '01 2wd Durango. Also have the OD wire backed out of the shift lever. Need to remove column PRNDL shifter so I can install new shifter boot. What is the procedure for removing the shifter from its spring assy?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 9 months ago.

I have included a link, the shifter with 3 screws shown as #1 in the link

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Randall. Thank you for your response. That information helps except that I still need to know how to remove the shift lever from its spring assembly so that I can install a new rubber boot that, when all is reassembled, will keep dust and dirt out of the insides of the steering column.

I can not answer that, there is no repair information for that, May times there is a rollpin to have to drive out to remove the lever,maybe take a picture of yours and send to this post

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here are two pics. I had already seen what you had originally posted and already had the shifter housing assy removed from the steering housing. The shifter housing contains the spring of which I am asking, so that was why in my original question I stated, "What is the procedure for removing the shifter from its spring assy?". I need to remove the shifter from the pictured spring housing to expose the end of the shifter onto which I will slide the new shifter rubber boot that will secure to the upper and lower shrouds. Thank you.

This one I can not answer, Most have a rollpin you drive out, I do not have info on my end for this design, I will opt out and open the post to the other experts

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for trying, Randall. I was able to remove the spring assy from the shift lever's assy and replace the boot. I am now in the process of reinstalling the shrouds and the rest of the entire assy. So I have paid $5 for the initial support and since I was no able to obtain detailed info from justanswer, I will not be charged the extra $23?
Thank you again!
Have a great evening!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We can close this ticket. Removing the 3 screws as originally suggested was not the approach to use. I had to remove the spring from the shifter housing assy, install the new rubber boot on the freed shifter shaft and then reinstall the spring. Thank you anyway for the attempt to help me.
Best regards