Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 2000 dodge cummins 24v and it ran out of fuel, I

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dodge cummins 24v and it ran out of fuel, I put 10 gallons in the tank and it still will not start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

So, you ran it and ran it until it could run no mo', heh? Well, welcome to the club! I've done it myself more times than I can remember - although I bet you my wife does ;-)

Well, your lift or transfer pump might have given up the Ghost and is now dead, kaput. If that's the case and you don't want to mess with it for now, take off the fuel filter, fill it up to the brim with diesel and help the engine start by spraying WD-40 down the intake. It may cough and kick for a few moments but it should smooth out after a bit.

Of course, if all of that fails, then here comes a new lift pump.

Let me know how you make out.

Best Regards.