Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Replaced steering pump with rebuilt unit ,flushed system

Customer Question

replaced steering pump with rebuilt unit ,flushed system before I drove it did fine 10 ***** ***** later there was noise coming from the steering pump,drove in but the pump lost all power and the steering wheel is hard to turn.Replaced this pump with a new one runs good no noise but no power checked fulid levels fine.Checked spring and piston installed correct ,ok. Do I need to bleed the rack?Greg 1998 dodge 1500
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The second pump failed and now the rack will not turn as easy as before,like no power with engine running
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

from the original failure, it sounds like debris got into the rack and cause the failure of the rack. each time you change the pump the debris moved around until it settled again in the valves inside the rack. the rack most likely is going to need to be replaced and the system re flushed

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out???

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Ok, let me pull up the wiring diagram Roy when i get to my laptop in about 30 minutes. Then I will see where that fuse gets it's power from.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Sorry Roy, that last reply was meant for another customer.

Chris