Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

06 Durango 5.7 is running hot while driving down the road,

Customer Question

06 Durango 5.7 is running hot while driving down the road, if I keep rpm's around 2000 the temp levels off hot but doesn't get any higher. I changed the thermostat and it's doing the same thing. I removed thermostat and it's still the same. Top radiator hose is full of pressure (likely a thermostat was stuck closed) on all three cases
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

since it has overheated it may be possible that you have a damaged head gasket leaking combustion gases into the cooling system. this can be checked with a chemical kit that you can get at a parts store. the other possibility is a clogged radiator. if it has had sealants added, they clog up the cores and limit circulation.

you may have actually found the issue with a bad thermostat but it sounds more like you may have a bad head gasket.

Roy