Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Dodge Caravan:

Customer Question

hello
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dodge Caravan heater issues..
Blend door turns by hand, and actuator bench tests fine under 12volts
not sure why actuator isnt turning when installed
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you turn the blend door by hand does the heater then blow hot air?

Does the actuator turn at all when installed on the heater box?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when I turn the blend door by hand I can get hot or cold air, depending on which way I turn it.
No - when I reinstall the actuator on the box and slide the temperature level hot to cold there is no movement in the actuator or blend door.
Could there be an electrical issue prior to the connection at the actuator? I have check all fuses and haven't found an issue - unless I overlooked the fuse that controls that line.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me what year and engine size is in your vehicle here as well if this has the manual settings on the heater control or any AUTO functions on the heater control?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2000 Dodge Caravan
3.3 liter
Manual functions - meaning knobs and levers
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,I assumed manual when you said you slide the lever for hot and cold but I wanted to make sure.

Can you test the wiring at the actuator now with a multi meter while I tell you what to test?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dang - that's when I'm out of luck. I don't have one - but even if I did, there are 5 pins I wouldn't know which of them to touch
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when I said I tested it on the bench I put 12 volts to the "motor" of the actuator to turn it. I guess that doesn't mean the circuit board is ok
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

That indicates the motor is o.k. but you have control circuits for the motor.If you want I can post the diagram for this model so you can see the sensor ground and 5 volt signals.This way you can test these signals to the motor as well as see if you have any types of signals out to the actuator/motor when selecting cold or hot.

I will say most common to fail is this actuator itself.I have had to replace allot of these before for this issue here.It can be a fault internally in the control head on the dash needing replaced but this isnt as common as the heater blend door actuator needing replaced.There are no connections in line between the control head and the actuator it is a straight shot.I will go ahead and post the diagrams for you here.You want to test the 5 volt and ground signal then test in between the blend door driver and door common driver with a meter connected on dc volts when commanding from hot to cold.You should see the voltage change when this is done with the actuator plugged in testing at the back of the connector.If you do then the actuator needs replaced.If you do not then the control on the dash needs replaced.You might be able to rent a multi meter from a local parts store to do this testing.I do suspect the actuator at fault here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvstwav8xpoa1df/blend-02-18.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When you say the "control on the dash", are you referring to the actual slide mechanism?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Yes,but this is a complete assembly with heater fan control,mode control etc,the entire assembly would need replaced if the signals are not present.Usually this doesn't need replaced as usually this is the actuator itself at fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete