Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Mad Auto Repair
90693043

2010 Charger 3.5 engine, oil pressure all in specifications,

Customer Question

2010 Charger 3.5 engine, oil pressure all in specifications, oil light keeps coming on, has new sending unit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Put a used engine in this car, running fine, but oil light keeps coming on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 9 months ago.

Hello.

Have you used a manual oil pressure gauge to check the oil pressure?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The tech removed the oil pressure switch and connected a mechanical oil pressure gauge to show that when first started (cold) the oil pressure started at about 70psi, then slowly dropped to about 20psi as the engine came to operating temperature. The tech revved the engine to about 3000RPM and found that the oil pressure rises to about 85psi

Ok, what does the oil pressure say on the dash when the light comes on?

Are you using the exact oil that they say?

Dodge has had issues with the oil.

Did you use an oem pressure sensor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The customer has left the shop every time the oil pressure light comes on. So we only get to test it when it gets back to the shop and we get consistent readings.Need to confirm what oil should be used, any idea what it should be?We used the oil pressure sensor that come on the used engine, then swapped to the one on the customers failed engine, then went to an aftermarket. All three have given same issue which leads me to believe its not the sensor. I was leaning towards oil.

I agree that it is probably the oil.

The service manual says 10w-30 and I suspect that they are using 5w-30. Usually not a big deal, but for some reason these engines are very sensitive.

If I remember correctly they might have a bulletin for a reflash to recalibrate the ecm to help correct this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Shop wants to replace oil pump, I can't find anything leading me to believe oil pump would be an issue.

I agree. Did they do any other work to the engine?

Have they had the oil pan off?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They did swap oil pans because the plug on my used one was stripped.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No other work that I know of other than install.

When they removed the oil pan they might have forgotten the seal that goes to the oil pickup tube. If this is the case it would cause this issue also.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Shop claims the seal on oil pickup tube is "perfect". They used 10-30 oil. Still wants to replace oil pump for reasons they cannot explain.Could the speedo be faulty?

No, I doubt it is an instrument cluster issue. I saw a similar issue before and it was the pcm. Those vehicles run very low oil pressure when they are at temperature and idling, down to the single digits.

I would make sure the pcm is up to date, some of the updates are piggybacked with others.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
get this....with mechanical oil pressure gauge on the car, oil light stays off. When we put the oil pressure sensor back on issue comes back up. We can confirm the oil pressure switch is cycling off, meaning the switch is confirming it has pressure, but the oil light is still on.