Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 1981 D150 3.7, I need to know how to convert the

Customer Question

I have a 1981 D150 3.7, I need to know how to convert the Distibutor. It has points and (1) wire
(Which is said to be outdated)
Convert to a Electronic Ignition Distributor with (2) wires
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Are you sure you have point system in your distributor, the 1981 came from the factory with an electronic pointless distributor. Has it been down graded ? Let me know and we can work from there to try and help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU !!! For at least responding...I'm not sure if it was downgraded. I'm not the original owner. It has points and it's a (1) wire...the only compatible thing that's said to be cimpatible is this electronic ignition with 2 wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron do you understand my question? The Distributor I'm replacing is has points and (1) wire....the auto part stores ALL says, the only thing compatible is an electronic ignition with (2) wires (which I purchased) need to know how to convert it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr Ron...I see you're online, Can you PLEASE answer my question?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

The truck you're working on came originally equipped with what was called Lean-Burn System which was controlled by one the earliest versions of the onboard computer. Those systems were so troublesome and misunderstood that most owners replaced them with earlier non-electronic points and condenser setups - probably what's on your truck now.

Parts for the Lean Burn systems haven't been available for a while now, so going back to the original system is really not a viable option. The options you do have are; 1- what you have now, i.e., points and condenser, 2- an aftermarket electronic ignition system (very expensive), or 3- a customized system using a later-version Chrysler setup (click here for a great how-to write up) that you can basically build with parts from a salvage yard.

I'll be back online after lunch Atlantic time (Im in the Caribbean) if you need technical help or just more information.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mr Crespo, After waiting for a response for over 16 Hours I pretty much gave up. Yes, I've stated what I currently have...I understand you telling me my options and I already viewed the writeupbonline (2) days ago............ALL I want to know is How to convert this distributor that have points and (1) wire to A electronic ignition (2) wire. Step By Step. info.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way....The online info was NOT useful for me.
I have a Dodge Ram D150 3.7

I'm sorry for the confusion. First of all, I'd like to reassure you that my only goal is to help you solve your issue.

The difference between points and electronic ignition it's not confined to the distributor; there are components involved with electronic ignition that are just not there with points. In other words, the term "electronic ignition" describes a whole system that includes control module, distributor, harness, coil, etc., not just a single component.

I used the online info as a way to show you how the different systems have evolved, as well as the most cost-effective way to install a reliable electronic ignition system in your truck.

Providing you have basic mechanical skills and tools, I'm pretty sure I could guide you through a step-by-step procedure on doing the change-over to an electronic ignition system if you'd like to go that route. Otherwise, I won't be able to help you. What would you like to do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll pay the fee and have my husband call you for step by step info thnx so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for my misunderstanding....that makes perfect sense. Just need this truck running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I pay the fee, what time will you be available to talk?

The way this site works, you'll have up to two weeks of chat access to me after accepting and rating my answer now. If at any time during those two weeks, you or your husband would like for me to call you on the phone, the site requires that you also accept an Additional Service Offer for the call.

I'm retired and living in the Dominican Republic, so any time from 2PM to 9PM Atlantic Standard Time is good for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good thnx....

Looking forward to working with you.

Best Regards.