cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 5.9. The TIPM was replaced a year

Customer Question

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 5.9. The TIPM was replaced a year ago with a new one. Recently in the last month I started having clicking sounds that sound like a relay under the hood. The Batterys still read 12.7 volts each so I assume that's enough voltage, the cables are a little worn I must admit. But I am leery getting stranded somewhere due to it taking 4 clicks before it starts, sometimes it does not start and I need to wait.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

change your starter relay out that is whats clicking

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced the relay and the truck started a few times ok, but the clinking sound came back again in the afternoon and it took a few tries to start it. I don't think it is the relay, I did check the starter connection and it was tight. I rechecked the battery voltage with a ohm meter and they still read 12.7 and 12.3 volts respectively. I also cleaned the terminals with Baking soda and water. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

take a test light and check your ignition switch