Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

04 dodge cummins has a delayed pedal. started out as a dead

Customer Question

04 dodge cummins has a delayed pedal. started out as a dead one then changed the tps. a year later I changed it again then 6 months then another 6 months then only three weeks. on the last one we changed the battery instead of the tps and then it worked for a day and went out again. we have checked the ground strap, changed battery cables, checked wires, and even changed the pcu twice. the codes that I get are p2121,p2122,p2123. it will not get over 50 mph
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh and we did change the tps again.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you have a multi meter and a scan tool to plug into your vehicle that displays engine data at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do I gave the codes I get they are the p2121 p2122 and p2123
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,can I walk you through some testing to see if we can pinpoint this issue here?Is the vehicle acting up now?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a full time issue. . Yes I can work on it now if you are available.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem.O.k. the first check here.Is your throttle position sensor located on the engine as there are two different designs on this model here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is this a manual transmission or automatic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,disconnect the accelerator pedal position sensor and take your multi meter set to ohms/resistance and test between the signal circuit and the 5 volt supply circuit at the sensor itself.You should have between 1500 to 3000 ohms resistance.This would be where the brown wire with white stripe plugs in and the violet wire with pink stripe wire plugs in.Make this test at the sensor itself not the wiring.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Key on but not started?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize,key off when this test is done.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Wrong question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get 2400 at the sensor
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,plug the sensor back in and test the same signal but with the sensor plugged in and key on do you see 1000 ohms less in resistance with the pedal pressed to the floor at all or pressed half way throttle?Usually you want to see around 1400 ohms or less.

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the key on I get way different readings. With my meter set at 20k ohms I get 3.8 when the pedal all the way depressed I get 1.82. The key off I get 2.4.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just check the codes and got a new one. It's p0698
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The new code most likely set due to being unplugged and tested as this can cause the code to set.It looks like the 2.4 is the 2400 ohms as seen with it unplugged and key off.Then now you have 1820 ohms with the key on sensor plugged in and pedal depressed.This is out of range for the operation of the accelerator position sensor according to the diagnostics for this here.Try testing it with the key off and sensor unplugged with the same test done with the pedal pressed as my info isnt telling me key on or off or sensor plugged in.See what it shows for readings with the sensor unplugged,key off,test the same two signals with the pedal pressed and let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
key off and pedal up is 2.34. Key off pedal depressed is .75 if I am set at 20k ohms. Sensor unplugged
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

So it looks like 2340 ohms with pedal up and 750 ohms with pedal pressed.This is in range as they want to see between 200 and 1500 ohms and you have 750 which is o.k.

Next test is the same with it disconnected and key off.Test the resistance between the 5 volt circuit (violet/pink wire) and the return circuit Light green/orange wire for 2000 to 3000 ohms with the pedal released and the pedal pressed and let me know what you have here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get nothing on that with the key off.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,you should have a resistance reading here.Was this sensor ever replaced to try and correct this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tps gas been changed many times and was even just warranty just to check it and still nothing. You mean if I check the two wires you just said with my meter and key off and disconnected from the sensor I should have some resistance?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Test at the sensors not the wires.Are you testing the pins at the sensor itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I thought you meant to check the wires. I get 2.46 pressed and 2.47 not pressed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other tests were t the pins on the sensors
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem it happens.I even do it myself when I have the instructions in front of me.Clear all codes then do the test below.

Next test is to take a jumper wire at the sensor connector (this time the wiring connection) and jump between the signal circuit (brown/white wire) and the 5 volt supply circuit (violet/pink wire).

Let me know if when you do this if code P2123 sets.If it does try clearing codes with the jumper in place and see if this code sets again and let me know.

I have to run out real quick but should be back soon.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Code p2123 sets both ways. But I also get 2127 with the jumper in place
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok according to the diagnostics this indicates the apps is faulty which it isn't in this case since it has been replaced.Check and make sure the wiring connections and wiring is o.k. At the apps as this can cause this here and I have seen this as a major cause for the fault codes set here.

If this is checked and found o.k. Let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what pins in the cpu that the tps wires go to?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was off line yesterday.

See if these diagrams here work to help with this here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/015d8x94zenudpj/apps-02-18.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2enkaidh0c0z8e8/ap-02-18.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wires all test good. I changed the transmission range sensor. And not it acts normal when in park but when in gear it has the delayed pedal. It goes until it needs to shift then I let up on the pedal and it shifts but will only get up to 50 mph. In park it will go 4000rpm but in gear only 2500 max. Could it be a speed sensor?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

After you replaced the transmission range sensor make sure you cleared out the codes then operate the vehicle and let me know what codes set again here as this will help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did clear the codes but they come right back so fast the check engine light doesn't even turn off. I always clear then when I change anything on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still runs like I mentioned in the post abouve
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is there any wiring issues found at all at the range sensor or leading to the computer at all or any other transmission wiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have checked everything that we can think of. All the wires seem good but we have heard there is some kind of totaly integrated module that is under the fuse box. Do you know what that would be and can it cause something like that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the tipm. Can it cause tps problems?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The TIPM can cause electrical faults like this here.It does work with the engine computer to operate components.I dont see it tied into the TPS itself but it is tied into the engine computer and if the TIPM is acting up this can cause the engine computer to operate certain components incorrectly possibly with the TPS itself.

If you have no wire issues and with all that has been done here and with the common failure of the TIPM it is very possible the TIPM itself may need replaced.I cannot say this for sure here but I do know it is a known failed component that can cause engine running or sensor issues on the engine.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the tipm and it didn't fix the problem but I can only find a used one. Right now I have code p2123 and p 2121. My abs light and emergency break lights are on in in the dash and won't turn off. When we clear the codes they come right back right now it will only get to 50 miles an hour and it no throttle or full throttle but it takes a min for it to get to full.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This has become a difficult question for me to fully figure out from here myself unfortunately and I apologize for this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete