Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2013 Dodge Dart Limited w/ 1.4L Turbo (DCT) / mileage

Customer Question

2013 Dodge Dart Limited w/ 1.4L Turbo (DCT) / mileage (23,000): Between November 2015 and February 2016, my car frequently flashes a message on the dash that says "engage park brake to prevent rolling" while I'm in gear and stopped at a stop light/sign. Happens nearly every day. During that same time period, on about 12 occasions, the transmission won't go into gear. I can move the shifter to RND, but the light on the dash and by the shifter stays lit on P. It behaves like it is in neutral when this happens. My only solution is to shut-off the car and restart it up to 6 times for it to engage gears again. The Dealer has been playing dumb on me. This was not resolved with the TCM bracket/replacement recall that was "fixed" a couple weeks ago. It still does this. Neither issue ever happened before November.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

There are no Dodge messages for this issue. So its not a common issue. Has anyone scanned it to see if there are trouble codes codes stored?

Does this occur when aiming up hill?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The "engage park brake" message happens frequently and it doesn't have to be on a hill. I have seen it happen on many occasions on level ground. I was never informed if they saw any trouble codes. I have also seen MANY people report this same behavior (both the park brake message AND the not engaging gear issue) on various forums, so I don't believe it's that rare. The other thing about those forum messages is that nobody is getting any answers nor has found any solutions. Shame on me for not researching dry dual clutches before purchasing this car...seems that most manufacturers have problems with them.

Have you tried disabling the hill start assist in section 424 in your owners manual?

Are you rolling while stopped or when taking off when this message occurs?

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris