Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My name is ***** ***** I have a 1993 dodge Dakota that I am

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** I have a 1993 dodge Dakota that I am getting power to my igniton coil and my distributer but I am not getting any spark to my plugs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have changed the crank sen the distributor and rotor the igniton coil and i still cant get it to start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Is the ignition coil getting a signal to fire while cranking the engine over? What size engine do you have?

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Hellooo??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the ignition coil is getting fire i used a test light
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

That is not what I am asking. I am asking if the ignition coil is getting a GROUND signal trigger?

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

If it is getting a signal to fire and it has power but it is not producing spark, the ignition coil is bad and will need to be replaced. It is as simple as that.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Unless the coil is sending spark out to the distributor cap but no spark is coming out of the cap, then the cap and rotor are bad and need to be replaced.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but I'm not getting spark to distributor i put my test light on coil and turned it over and it would not light up or do i get a spark using a screwdriver on coil
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

You would use a spark tester to check for spark coming directly out of the ignition coil.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i don't know how to check the ground signal trigger
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

This is done with a test light. But only you would hook it up backwards. Hook the alligator clip of the test light and hook it to battery positive, and take the tip of the test light and touch it the signal wire of the coil. The test light should blink when cranking over the engine if its getting a signal.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Now you know how. :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK so if it's that how would I fix it
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

If the test passes, then the fix is to replace the ignition coil.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

.