xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  asetech
6149662

My 2007 dodge ram 1500 vibrates a little bit when it gets up

Customer Question

My 2007 dodge ram 1500 vibrates a little bit when it gets up to about 45 to 50 but when it gets up to about 60 or more it doesnt do it, and have changed tires and rotate wheels and bounced also have replace ball joints and still vibrates a little. what can be the cause of it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

auto or manual? miles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is auto and has right at 163,000 on it and also the passenger side shock will break off from the brackets on the shock.
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

is the engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does say gascap and the gascap has been replaced also and still does that
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

sounds like a torq converter shudder is the trans original?>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is original and it has had a computer put on the transmission and it checks out great
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

has it been drivin with the computer hooked up or was it tested sitting still?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
drivin
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

these torq converters when they fail or come apart internally they will ruin the transmission

it really sounds like a failing torque converter

.............

Many people describe this feeling as running over a rough spot in the road. Very often the problem is a torque converter shudder. A torque converter shudder is a brief shake or shudder in the vehicle when internal clutches apply inside the torque converter. They refer to this application of clutches as "lock-up." Often this problem is mis-diagnosed and sometimes they needlessly rebuild transmissions as a result.

A quick test

On many vehicles, one way to identify a torque converter shudder is lightly touching the brake pedal. While carefully maintaining vehicle speed with one foot, delicately apply the brakes with the other. If the shudder immediately stops, with brake application, the problem is likely the torque converter clutch. When the operating system sees brake application, most vehicles release the torque converter clutches. A trained transmission-service technician can also test for torque converter lockup using a specific vehicle scan tool. These tests are important as a slight engine misfire very often causes the same sensation and is may be mistaken for a torque converter shudder.

How a torque converter lockup works

The torque converter is a coupling between the engine and transmission of the vehicle. The purpose is to allow the vehicle to come to a stop, with the engine running. To do this something has to slip, and that is the torque converter. From this perspective, it acts much like an automatic clutch.

Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that also cause the shock to break too?
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

the shock itself? do you have a pic?

Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

where did it break?