Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have 91 dodge Caravan. Left side turn signal indicator on

Customer Question

I have 91 dodge Caravan. Left side turn signal indicator on dash lights up steady when lights turned on, left signal does not work. When lights are off turn signals work fine. Also when lights turned on chime comes on as well. All bulbs work. All fuses good. light switch good. Flasher good.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern.

sounds like the issue is a wrong bulb is installed or the bulb is installed incorrectly. It also could be a bad bulb socket causing the issue.

You say the bulbs are ok, because they come on but you need to make sure they are installed correctly because what is happening is you are get bleed thru voltage somewhere in the turn signal circuit that is causing the light to come on the dash. since you say it does not do it when the lights are off, I would suspect the left rear tail light bulb or socket is the culprit

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
correct bulbs and installed correctly, you cannot install incorrectly as they only work one way. All bulbs were installed new approx 1 year ago with no issues till now. What else could cause this issue. No blink on left side when lights turned on, chime comes on as well. Dash blinks with lights too I noticed on left turn only. Bought new 4 blade flasher still does not work. turn signal only works when lights off and 2 blade flasher used in different slot on relay box. My mechanics books show flasher in different spot. which does not help. Can the signal switch be culprit?

the chime comes on when you try to use the blinker for the left side?

but it works normally when the lights are off?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
chime comes on when lights turned on whether signal is on or not. steady left turn signal illumination when i signal left turn, but does not blink .Right side works fine. Also replaced flasher but new one doesn't work either.Had to install second 2 blade flasher to get signal lights to work. other configurations do not work. Both turn signals work when I have lights off. Tried to check behind relay block but could not pull it out. I heard there was recall with flasher on this vehicle so wondering if special flasher is needed.

let me see if I can find any bulletins

I found the recall bulletin but being that the car is so old, I don't see it being an issue now. besides the part is way updated by now.

I think you will need to concentrate more on the wiring either back at the tail light, by the turn signal switch and at the instrument cluster

you need to look carefully at all the connectors and make sure there are no wires melted together

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have checked connections at bulb but all are good. I will try to get access to back of fuse block and relay block for damage. It's not easy since no slack in wire harness behind. Will try again. Will let you know the results.
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 9 months ago.

ok thanks let me know

check the back of the turn signal switch connector for signs of any damage