Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

Want to change wheels & tires to 16 inch what is the proper

Customer Question

Want to change wheels & tires to 16 inch what is the proper size tire for clearance. Will not go off road by design. the truck is standard height Bud wiser sometimes
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Picked up this nice 87 Dakota it has 22 inch wheels at present time Feel every crack in the road. Can not tell if tire is flat there is so little rubber. the original wheels were 195 75 14 Think a set of 16 will look nice.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Think it is a matter of getting new wheels and tires along with a good alignment What else is there to be nervous about ?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: The last message was am I planning to do this work myself. Is there more than new wheels and tires with alignment ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Randall, It will take me a few minutes to type and send information back to you, please bear with me, thanks

Ok, I can NOT speak on wheels, Obviously you need 16 " wheels but,, the narrower the better as you can run into tires hitting if you go with too wide of wheel so, when talking to someone about wheels? the information I have supllied should help guide them. the first 3 digits of the tire size is the width , the 2nd 2 numbers are sidewall height and last 2 are the rim size, BUT,, the key here is to keep the overall diameter of the tire same as factory so speedo and ABS etc all act /work correct. I know this is all confusing , I am going to try and make simple as I can, The factory tire are 25.52 inches in diameter, the closest 16" tires to that diameter are:

235/5/16

245/50/16

215/55/16

205/60/16

225/55/16

If it were me? I would go with narrower rims and use either the 205 /60/15 OR the 215/55/16. any other you could? hit inner wheel well when turning, You should be safe with these 2 tire sizes for a 16" wheel. and,, BOTH are very very close to factory diameter so ABS and speedo will be near 100% correct