Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

I have a 2001 dodge caravan I have to fill with coolent

Customer Question

I have a 2001 dodge caravan I have to fill with coolent every time I drive it there is no leaks, no wetness in tail pipe, or white smoke coming from it, but it will blow hot and then cold from the heater. Where is the coolent going?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tom replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like you may have an air pocket in the system, or the radiator cap is not sealing and allowing the coolant to coil off. You may want to drain the radiator and capture as much coolant as possible to not waste it. Then jack up the front of the van so that the highest point of the system is the radiator fill hole. REplace the cap if you haven't already with the new radiator.

Another method to filling the system without getting air pockets is to use a vacuum filling device like this one here: http://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Cooling-System-Vacuum-Refill/dp/B0081N522E

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We hear a gurgling sound when we remove the cap and it is a new cap when we put the new radiator on.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we also have replaced the thermastat twice and filled the rad while we had the front jacked up.
Expert:  Tom replied 10 months ago.

You may want to have the system block tested for a blown head gasket.

Expert:  Tom replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything else I can help with?