Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My name is ***** *****, Ive got a 2000 dodge Intrepid, 2.7.

Customer Question

Hey, My name is ***** *****, Ive got a 2000 dodge Intrepid, 2.7. It was running fine but water pump went out. Pulled it down by removing valve covers, intake, front cover, etc. Replaced water pump chain, tensioner and went to crank but no fire to coil packs. 20 amp injector fuse under hood in fuse box has no power to it but asd relay does with switch on. Ran test and getting Po352, 353, 354, and 355 codes. No start.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Everything in the above comment
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect the wiring in the area the repairs were done and see if any wiring is found to be broken or damaged at all as well as make sure nothing electrical was damaged or bumped loose causing this issue.In allot of cases when a repair like this has been done wiring or electrical connections can become damaged and cause this fault here.If this is or was checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hey Pete, thanks for the reply. All wires look to be good, I can jump the S fuse which is the injector fuse to a hot terminal and the car will start however it will not idle and backfires like it is out of time. I pulled valve covers and intake back off and it is still in time. Crank is in time with cam sprockets. The sprockets on the intake cams will only bolt on one way so there is literally no way of getting this out of time as long as your marks line up. The same with the intake and exhaust cams, 12 pins between the marks. The cam sprockets on the left bank (drivers side) have both the dimple and a triangle for timing. I assume the triangle is the mark I need to use on this side as the dimple marks pull the main sprocket out of time to line the bolt holes in the sprocket up with the intake camshaft holes. Dont see anyway it could be out of time so issue must be elsewhere. I am getting a throttle positioning sensor code PO340 but with it backfiring that would throw that code. Any more ideas? Thanks, Bobby
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

If you clear out this fault code then crank over the engine again does this code come back again?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hey Pete thanks for the response, No the 340 code was for the cam sensor that we unplugged when we double checked the timing. It is in time and will run at high throttle but backfires out intake. It acts like it is still out of time. Is it possible for one of the exhaust cams to be 180 out or the entire cam system be 180 out. Its a pretty simple timing system thats pretty much fool proof, I have the crank sprocket on the single gold link all lined up, the left bank (passenger side) is lined up on the intake sprocket on the single gold link and timing dimple on intake sprocket, the right bank (drivers side) the intake cam sprocket is lined up between the two gold links with the dimple in intake sprocket. The gears on both intake cams will only bolt on one way but was wondering if they could be 180 out? Also the cam drive sprockets (smaller ones on intake and exhaust) on the right bank (drivers side) have both dimples and arrows. The arrows line up and correspond to the main Sprocket when lining up the main chain. If I use the dimples it throws the right bank (drivers side) sprocket out of time. Again these marks are on the small sprockets on drivers side only. Chrysler manual says nothing about the drivers side cam alignment, lol. only passenger side. No valve slap when running. If it were out anywhere on these engines wouldnt I have valve contact? Thanks again.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Usually you would see valve contact if it was out of time in most all cases here.Can you tell me what the 8th digit of your vehicles VIN number is ***** I show 3 different options for this engine for this year and model?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Full VIN is 2B3HD56UXYH307330
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Here is a diagram of the chain and sprocket line up here.Let me know if your lined up properly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pjbhdng7vs005f/tim-02-09.gif?dl=0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sir thats the same diagram I have everything is exact. Also on the smaller cam sprockets I have 12 pins between the dimple (or triangle on the drivers side) on the exhaust cam and the corresponding mark on the intake cam.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,with the timing components lined up properly and all o.k. here this is a difficult one for me to answer myself from here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete