Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

Vehicle is flooding out what is fuel pressure supposed to be

Customer Question

vehicle is flooding out what is fuel pressure supposed to be
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Which engine are you working on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

3.8

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Normal fuel pressure on your 3.8 should be right at 53 to 63 PSI so you should be fine at 60. Are you getting a check engine light and if so are there any fault codes setting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

only code p0032 heated o2 sensor heater control circuit high b1 s1

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Well since we know there is a problem with the HO2S sensor then that is what I would try to deal with first. I have enclosed the steps in the link below to check the sensor and the circuit. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. Let start there first.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0032%20Feb%202.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I haven't seen a heater circuit cause excessive fuel thought this is only for warm up

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

I have seen it causing a flooding condition if the circuit is shorted to ground. I would at least have a look.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok I will check it out

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

One other thing, make sure when you replaced the PCM that it had the latest software installed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm just getting into vehicle somebody else changed ecm when it didn't work put old ecm back in. that is what I am working with.

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay then let check what we know is a problem and that would be the HO2S and its circuit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

for the 32 dollars we are just going to change then if code returns we will go further in if it is short to ground should be hard code and return immediately. at least in theory

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay while your changing it make sure to have a look at the harness to it to make sure its not shorting out on anything.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

already did that wires look good

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay then hopefully replacing it will clear the code. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I sure will

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay, Im here all day.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

do you know anything about kia transfer case other person that I am dealing with must not be online

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately no I do not.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

me neither

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

You can always open a new post and see if you can connect with a Kia tech.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok code clear did not come back still pounding fuel will not idle will run ok at mid throttle will be getting at injectors I will let you know what I find. tps and o2 sensors seem to be ok. thought maybe map sensor. how can I check map sensor before I pull upper plenum

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

checked injector ohm all checked good ran noid lights all seem to be working correctly, plugged injectors in seem to work like there are suppose to what next

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

I do not think this is an injector issues but perhaps a injector control issue. Are you 100% sure the PCM is not at fault here?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

not 100% sure they said they replaced pcm. and still did same thing. it has to be something that effects all cyl. what about evap system. I was thinking leaking pressure reg but this one is built into tank. also weird #1 cyl intake runner before injector is clean as can be. does this tell you anything

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The injector and the pulse width are controlled by the ground switching signal from the PCM, it sure not likely all the injector are leaking especial if it holds furl pressure. Im most cases if there is a problem with the EVAP system there will be a fault code.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

we cranked it over with injectors removed from intake spray seemed normal all sprayed the same. why I mention evap is seems like it is getting extra gas from somewhere other than injectors. shooting for the stars at this point. I am gonna put it back together then plug evap vacuum line from throttle body and see if that does anything

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

There really is no place for the EVAP to feed fuel into the engine. It only suppose to control vapor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

that I know and I don't know how gas could get into evap system as I said shooting for the stars what do you think about the clean intake runner. all others have the dark greasy look this one is clean as new

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

About the only way it could is if some how it was sucking it out of the tank. What happens if you disconnect the line from the canister?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

that is what I am going to do after I reassemble ill let you know

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

That would sure answer it. Let me know. Im going to be here for a while yet today and all day tomorrow.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok that did not work the only thing I see is tps reads 18% at idle and only goes to 78% full throttle. also map sensor reading ok but how can I test it

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

What are you wanting to test the TP or the MAP?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just map sensor I know how to test tps on tps was wondering if those numbers are ok I'll test it off vehicle if these numbers are wrong

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Testing the MAP is fairly easy to do, see the steps in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Map%20Feb%203.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok voltage at power is 4.85 power at signal wire is 3.65 with vehicle not running car does not idle do these numbers tell you anything I will try to get vehicle to run just don't want to damage cats any further

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

the 4.8 looks ok but the 3.6 is high but you need to check it with the engine running so if you can get running long enough see what you get

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

also with plugin unplugged signal wire reads .01 volts info you sent me says should be 5volts I will get vehicle running and let you know what other reading I get

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The voltage needs right at 5 volts with it unplugged.

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Your reading should be right at the voltages readings I sent you.

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Recheck them and see what you get

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Take a look at the connector view in the link below to make sure you checking the right wires.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Map%20connector%20Feb%203.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes I am checking it right trying to warm up now but with engine at 1800 rpm to keep it running we get 2.65 to 2.9 volts also just got a crank sensor code that wasn't there before so I need to check that it was changed at least that is what they said. would explain a lot. just strange that all tasting no crank code came up till now ill let you know what I find

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Yea I would sure check the CKP code. It is very rare for a MAP to fail with out setting a fault code.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

crank sensor is new doesnt mean its any good. I did notice when running tack would all of a sudden drop 500rpm when code reader only noticed a little drop could this be indicator

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The tack signal should be holding steady.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I figured it should at least be close to code reader numbers so does that point to the ckp

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

If its jumping then yes that would likely mean there is a problem with it and or the circuit to it from the PCM providing the tack is okay as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

boy ill owe you a big bonus if we can get this figured sorry to ask all this but this car is kinda kicking my butt

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Yea I can tell, this is one of those time I wish I could be there to give you some hands on help

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

so I thought I had something pulled cpk ohms different then new one. still didn't fix it.any last thoughts before I give up

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Some thing has to be causing the PCM to over fuel the engine and because its not setting any fault codes leads to to think the problem is with the PCM. Unfortunately I can not tell you that for sure. The part that dose not make since is your not getting any fault codes to set.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yea I know usually come up with several codes. also when I hook up my reader all functions seem to be working. I am going to be looking at one more thing, that clean intake runner. I wonder if when original crank sensor went out if it didn't back fire and brake the plastic intake hard to run vacuum leak check when vehicle wont idle do you think this might be possibilty

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

I think its a bit of a stretch but worth looking into. At least by removing it you would be resealing the intake if in fact it dose have a leaking intake.