Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have 2006 dodge ram 2500 used the remote will flash the

Customer Question

I have 2006 dodge ram 2500 used the remote will flash the lights and horn but door locks do not work from remote or inside switches I have read many forums saying this could be cluster problem with key less entry box so I just took out the cluster and no box it looks as if the cluster is used from another truck ? but how are the key fob activating lights and horn
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

do you have the vin so I can look up the options on your truck and some information on the keyless entry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3D7K528C06G152092
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

thanks give me a few minutes to look it up

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok in 2006 we transitioned AWAY from the box behind the cluster, the keyless entry functions are handled by the security module,(SKIM) so if the truck runs and there are NO red flashing lights on the dash I would assume the module is OK and there is an electrical issue with the door locks, this is also proven by the fact the lights flash when you hit the lock and unlock button, do the locks ALL work with the MANUAL buttons on the doors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not with switch on door you can manually pull them up and down
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok you have an electrical issue hows your skill level with electrical testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not to bad one thing is when you do the key thing to activate the locks after 15 MPH I can hear a click so I would thinks the switches are good although the locks do not lock after 15 MPH
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

is ANYTHING else out such as windows power mirrors etc...

looking through the diagrams the cluster powers the door locks and there are no dedicated fuses JUST for the door locks so I am trying to narrow down the circuit in question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
overhead works ,windows work , only thing is I do not see a red light for alarm on cluster if equiped
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

I am going to send along a wiring diagram for the power locks , the locks are powered from the cluster through several connectors I would look at the door wiring as it's prone to breaking at the flex point at the doors.

then it's your choice on where to start looking for power or loss of power you MAY wish to start at the cluster and see if it's sending out power to the locks OR pull the door panel and see if there is power at the LATCH, (that's where the lock solenoids are) below is a link to the diagram please download and save it to your pc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afbvor6zs8o1pdb/lolcks.docx?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK do the switches Threw the Skim unit ?could that be the problem and could thee switches be jumpered
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

no no the switches are RESISTORS, the cluster sends out a voltage and the resistors in the switches change that voltage lower which the cluster "sees" and determines what you are asking, so you really need to determine what is wrong by testing for power coming out of the cluster, and closely look at the wiring from the body to the doors

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

review the diagram