Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Running lights 't work, is it this switch?

Customer Question

Running lights don't work for brakes, is it this switch?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2010 Dodge Caliber Main Street 2.0L, checked brake switch feed 3. No brake running lights, brakes work with pedal. Installed after market LEDs with resistor. No brake running lights, similar install on Jeep Wrangler with no issues but my Caliber has no rear running brakes. License plate works.URGENT
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this issue only occurred after the LED lights were installed make sure the LED lights are wired in correctly and that they are fully compatible with this model here.I have seen issues with the LED lights that can cause a fault if not the correct fit or wired in incorrectly.If this is all o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Pete,I checked online when I bought these via Ebay, here is the exact product which says "Compatible with 2010 Dodge Caliber"http://www.ebay.com/itm/261951941916?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITI spliced the load resistors into the top and bottom wires connected to the brake light harness, my light had three wires coming from the harness (a "top", middle and "bottom"). Everything looks okay, what could I have done wrong in the wiring? No other changes to wiring expect splicing in the resistor, one on each brake light.Again the brake lights illuminate with the hazard lights, pedal brake and turn signal, but they do not illuminate for my running lights. All other lights work on the car.Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello again,This issue was marked urgent and I have not heard back at a consistent rate? And why was my bank card charged when we did not resolve the issue?I contacted the seller and they said the LED cannot handle three commands (blinkers, brakes and running lights) so it is not compatible. I've since switched the bulb back to halogen. Can you provide any additional input?I was told from this website (JustAnswer) there was a $5.00 good faith deposit and I would not be charged if I was not satisfied. Again why was my bank card charged when we did not resolve the issue and I have not heard a follow up at a consistent rate for an issue marked urgent. Please forward to a manager if needed as a refund may be required.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was under the weather lately.

Unfortunately I do not deal with the money part here I am just here to help with your question.I can send this to customer service if you want on the funds issue.I do know usually the funds are held as a deposit but can be refunded if you are not satisfied.

I suspected the issue was with the LED set up here as I have seen in so many other models in the past.

Are you asking how to wire this then and make it work or are you asking if there is another unit that will work on this model here?

Are you still having light issues with the normal halogens back up and running again?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was told by the eBay seller that the 3157 LED cannot handle three commands as stated above. I switched the LED back to the halogen bulb on Sunday (January 31st). It appears the 2010 Dodge Caliber cannot support an LED brake light. The halogens are working fine.Yes please forward to Customer Service as this issue needed resolved on Sunday night as it was marked urgent and I was working on the car at that time. For the upcharge I was expecting immediate service especially since it showed "Dodge mechanics online". I also requested a phone call and never got one, that of which I was also expecting Sunday night.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,I do apologize for any issues here.I will send this to customer service for you.

Thanks Pete