Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Have 2003 Dakota 4.7 ltr that when warm and try to start

Customer Question

Have 2003 Dakota 4.7 ltr that when warm and try to start will try to catch, stumble, the die. If you wait 30 minutes atarts right up like nothing ever happened
If you turn off for 1minute then will start but wait more than that and have this problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

It sounds like you may have leaky injector(s). Heat from the engine when shut down at operating temperature will evaporate the fuel, which spreads throughout the air intake system, even going so far as back into the air cleaner. If started soon after shutdown, the fuel volume leaked into the intake system will be minimal and the idle air system can usually manage.

To tell, try this.

Pushing the accelerator completely to the floor while cranking employs the "clear flood" feature built into the vehicle's fuel injection system. By going to wide-open throttle when cranking, it tells the PCM/ engine controller to stop injecting fuel because the driver (you) believes the engine may be flooded.

If the engine does actually start, it shows that fuel has made its way into the air intake system when it shouldn't have. Fuel was already in there, or the engine would simply crank without firing.

Try this first on an engine that has just been shut down. It should crank but not start.

Then wait until you expect it to be hard to start and employ the clear flood feature. If the engine continues to crank without starting, you probably don't have leaky injectors. But if it does start, it conclusively shows that there are problems in that department. Typically, one to three injectors are involved, but I was surprised recently with an 05 truck that needed all eight.

Let me know how it works out.

Ed

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sounds right as I can smell fuel like its flooded on my old carb type cars. Will try now

OK. I'll be here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, waited 30 minutes and then pushed accelerator to the floor. It just cranked and cranked
Then pumped the accelerator a little back and forth (not all way of / on). And fired up

Thanks. Let's try checking for trouble codes next.

By rolling the key from off to on three times (leave ON), any codes stored in the PCM will be displayed in the instrument cluster's odometer window. Don't crank the engine, just roll the key.

When done, it'll show "P-done" to tell you that the feature had, indeed, run and terminated.

Let's see if anything comes up.