Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Put a new fuel pump in 06 ram died after 10 minutes running

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I put the new pump in, I cycled the.power on the ignition 3 times to prime the lines. I gave it one shot of starting fluid. It started up with hesitation. It ran for 10 minutes and them died. I have repeated the.process multiple times. It is actually trying to start so it has to be getting some fuel, although I can not hear the fuel pump running.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Where did you get the pump? DO you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My background is that I am an HVAC mechanic, so I am fairly skilled. I got the pump online. It's brand new with a warranty. I don't have a fuel pressure guage, but I'm sure I can get one at orileys.

I would start with a pressure test. Off brand pumps often do not perform to manufacturers specs and many shops will not install them as they are more trouble than they are worth.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What sort of pressure should I be looking for? As I said before, the truck fired up with as ease and ran for ten min or so the first crank with the new pump... after that it's trying to fire, but just can't or wont. I have heard about bleeding injector lines as well...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where is the best place to get a pressure reading, we both know how hard it is to get to the top of the pump....

which engine do you have?

It will be easiest to check under hood at fuel rail. It may have a test port depending on engine. You are looking for a minimum of 58PSI

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5.7

Does not look like it has a test port. Will still be easiest at engine or by removing filter. 59 PSI should be minimum. Also after key is turned off the pressure should hold steady and not drop below 35PSI for 30 minutes

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was under the assumption that the fuel filter was built into the fuel pump

It may be the info is not real clear on that

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have rented a fuel pressure test kit and I will be testing it in about 4 o'clock I do need to find a place to test it at I'm not I'm not quite sure it's actually trying to start so it's getting some fuel

OK. The place to access is under the hood. the filter is in tank on this one. You will need a T for the pressure tester. remove the line and put T in place.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yeah this kid I rented from O'Reilly has a plethora fittings in there

OK. Just wanted to make sure you had the right stuff

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
YI might be able to get out and get over there earlier are you going to be able to chit chat back and forth or are you on your lunch break

I will be available until about 4pm eastern

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no pressure at the test port on the rail.... there is some fuel in there, but no pressure..... I can't find any fuses labeled fuel pump either
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No pressure... I am getting 10 volts to the harness on the big black wire and the orange/red wire the 2 big wires... but the power doesn't go off after 3 seconds either....

Yes the 3 seconds is the relay working. No worries. Check for a ground at the connector for the pump. Otherwise it is probably a bad pump.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey Sam,
Yes I checked for ground at the harness, and there is continuity to ground... I'm gong to get with the supplier and order another pump today.... that was a lot of work to do by myself out on the ground, just to have to do it again! Fortunately the tank is pretty much all the way out now, so it won't be as crazy....

My advice would be an OEM pump. You may get real good at this job.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The OEM is nearly 4 and a half times as much..... I have heard a few horror stories about having to change a pump multiple times.... is there any truth to that?

yes there is. The last aftermarket pump in a chrysler got an OEM pump after 11 aftermarket pumps. never again. but that is me

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well I will give it one more try, and then go to oem if need be. I'm a full time student, so im on a very limited budget.... and of course the truck was towed 20 miles away to my parents....

I understand your logic. I am just advising.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do appreciate it, and your not the first person to say it either.....

Dont forget to leave a rating. We can continue if you need additional assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a buddy whose parents own a mobile mechanic service, which he worked at for several years, and they won't do fuel pumps any more

I do a lot of them. I just will not use aftermarket on many brands. Unless customer pays labor every time. What brand pump did you get?