Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have 1994 Dodge Dakota 5.2 318 and an intermittent

Customer Question

I have 1994 Dodge Dakota 5.2 318 and an intermittent problem, truck great until it warms and when shut down and restarted it starts to run ragged especially when the overdrive is on, when has run at speed for awhile it runs great again
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
also when coming to stop it starts to run badly again
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

It sounds like you may have a weak or dead oxygen sensor heater. 02 sensors need very high temperatures to work properly, so engineering eventually gave them electric heaters to get them up to temperature and keep them there. Incorrect adaptive fuel trim is likely to happen with an 02 feedback loop that's being fed incorrect information, only to recover once exhaust temperatures rise enough from engine load alone to bring it online. Switching OD on allows a higher gear to be used, along with lower engine speed, which may account for the tendency of this to happen when OD is shut off -- less exhaust heating is available in overdrive.

You have but one oxygen sensor in the 94 Dakota, so it simplifies which one to replace. I encourage the use of a factory sensor, but failing that, a sensor made by NKK, NGK or Denso will work fine. You'll find it mounted in the exhaust system, just south of where the two exhaust banks come together. It's the thing that looks like a 4-wire spark plug.

Ed