Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I bought a 04.5 dodge 2500 when going up ll our getting up

Customer Question

I bought a 04.5 dodge 2500 when going up hill our getting up to 2000 rmp my coil light comes on and chimes 10 then goes OFF. The seller told me it was the smarty program witch was set on 3. I had him back out the program casus they box did not come with the box. Some days bad. Some days good. Don't feel anything in the peddle.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 10 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years e.xperience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

That is telling you that there is a problem with the fuel system and excessive return flow from the injectors. The vehicle needs to be scanned for codes and diagnosed accordingly.

The most common cause for this concern is one or more failed injectors or one or more loose injector connector tubes.

There is a service bulletin that explains this. A recent flash update at a dealer is what added in this feature to warn the driver to take the vehicle in for repair. If you need to see this bulletin, let me know, I'll round it up for you...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This answer is what I have read on these Cummings form and diesel bombers. Honestly looking for answers or suggestions. Any one with a computer can find this out for free. I looking for a way to fix it my self. Don't hand they money for new injectors. I just bought this truck. The people from smarty box explained to me also about the newer update and said it could be from there programme . Pleased could you give me some suggestions on Howe to fix. The fule filter was very dirty cause the last time the owner brought it in her paid for it but it did not get done. So I changed it twice since. Cleaned the map and isi . She runs great. No lack of power. Idles fine. It's a little pushy when during art a light. Need to stay on break. But I need a way to safely try and clean them out. Maybe k1 karsen. Please. I am open to suggestions. Don't have fund right now to drop another 2600 into it. I just put a new trsnfer case.in it casus I plain to plow with it. If I don't fix or replace will i blow the motor. Will it break the trany. Why are there no hard codes. I here what everyone is saying about this. But only way to fix is new njectors.

Here is the service bulletin that lets you know about the software update and what codes it adds in. If these codes are present when the concern happens then the only way to fix it is to solve the excessive return flow problem. The excessive return flow can be caused by injectors or a failed limiting valve. In order to fix it you must perform a return flow test to see where the excess fuel is coming from.

Here is the service bulletin -----> click here

There is one thing that you can try in case it is just a loose connector tube, try to retorque all injector connector tube fasteners. If it is caused by a loose connector tube, retorquing the fasteners will solve the issue.

Click to view connector tubes.

You stated the fuel filter was dirty, was it black? Was there any water in the bottom of the fuel filter housing?

You asked "If I don't fix or replace will i blow the motor. Will it break the trany. Why are there no hard codes."

If the injectors are worn out and causing the problem, it IS DEFINITELY possible to burn up the engine if one happens to stick. A stuck open injector will cook an engine VERY quickly so I HIGHLY recommend replacing the injectors if that happens to be the failure...

if you want to perform the injector return flow test yourself, you will need some special tools to properly separate the return flow from the injection pump and limiting valve to isolate the return flow for accurate testing. Click here to view special tools.

If you can obtain these tools and need the procedures, let me know, I'll round them up for you..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

As for breaking the transmission, I would have to say no, it shouldn't break the trans. The codes go stored as soon as the condition is not present. When you reduce your speed and drive below 2000 rpm's the codes are no longer "Hard Codes". Let me round up the diag procedures for the codes so you can read through them...

be right back...

Thank you,

Robert

Here is the diag info for the 2 codes in the service bulletin I posted above.

P1222 ---> Click here

P1223 ---> Click here

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!