Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.
2921078

I only need a good idea about what might be needed when

Customer Question

I only need a good idea about what might be needed when trying to start car and no movement of engine (no noise in turning key). We can't get the car to mechanic unless towed. They only said that the problem would either be alternator or starter. Is there anything else it might be. Tks.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

Usually if you don't hear any sounds at all when you turn the key the neutral safety switch is the problem. Sometimes putting the car into neutral and trying to start it will allow it to make contact and start.

If you have your usual dash lights and just no cranking this may be the issue. If you don't have any power at all, then it may be a dead battery. Try putting it into neutral and see if it will crank. Even if it doesn't it's a safe bet this is the problem if you don't at least get some clicking when trying to start it.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!