Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2004 Dodge 350 4x4 automatic. I am having a problem

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge 350 4x4 automatic. I am having a problem with the indicator range on the dash. When I put it in park it still remains in gear. When I put it in neutral it still can be in gear. Is this something that I can adjust the linkage on this to get it adjusted?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the transmission engaging in park and gear properly and it is only the indicator that is acting up here?

Have you had the fault codes checked or any other components checked or tested for this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not had the fault codes tested or any other components checked. This is an example of what happens: if I have it in neutral and want to put it in drive all of the other gears light up and start flashing or if I am in park and want to put it in drive all the other Gera light up and start flashing. To answer your question the transmission engages in park and gear properly and it is the indicators that are flashing. I hope that it is clear to you?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,can you tell me what liter engine is in this model here?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a 2004 Cummings diesel
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,what fails in most all cases and causes this fault here is the transmission range sensor.This sensor sends these signals:

- Provide a PARK/NEUTRAL start signal to the engine controller and the starter relay.

- Turn the Back-up lamps on when the transmission is in REVERSE and the engine (ignition) is on.

- Provide a transmission range signal to the instrument cluster.

When this sensor fails it will cause the display to flash like this here as the computer does not know what gear position the shifter has been shifted into.In this case the sensor needs replaced.This sensor should be located on the drivers side of the transmission as seen as #3 here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qhx3yu18r2gtjf/sens-01-27.gif?dl=0

I would have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this has been done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault here.I suspect this sensor is the sensor that will need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete