sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a start error on the dash of the van. Changed #7 fuse

Customer Question

Customer: I have a start error on the dash of the van. Changed #7 fuse under the and as soon as I turn the key to the run position it blows again. I had just started and maybe a mile down the road when I seen all the lights on the dash. I also noticed that the trans went into limp mode and would not shift. This has happened every now and again, but I just pull over shut off the engine and start it back up and its fine. The limp mode not the lights on the dash. So I pulled over and turned it off and it would not start.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Turned off the fan and didn't push the horn. Its a 2004 and have not had any issues. I have owned it for over 4 years and put 40,000 miles on it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, can you reword the question? are you saying this fuse blowing is causing the problems? also, what model and engine size?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was talking to one guy and put a deposit down and now am being asked again for another deposit. I think I may have did something wrong
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

unsure, I only see one post on your profile, This post is active, let me check again

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

do not know or see another conversation with another expert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am new to this site and am not sure how it works. I would rather have it in writing.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

we do not do in writing, it is a chat format, I will opt out and send your post to Customer service so they can help you clear this up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry it is 9 at night where I am and was hoping for an e mail of some ideas on how to fix this. Or just ideas. Sorry for wasting you time.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I can possibly help, we help in the format, you have not wasted my time. I had only asked

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't notice the fuse blown until after the van would not start. I never noticed the horn not to work. Fuse #7 on the steering column. Dodge Sprinter 2004 with a 2.7l
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, there are 5 different fuse boxes, what box is fuse blown? and where did the horn come into this,? its not working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the steering column. The fuse is for the horn and air recirculation solenoid. Now it don't work. It was working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been reading about a wiring issue where the main harness wears thru the sheathing and rubs the wire causing a short. The problem is I don't know where to start. I am mechanically inclined and a quick learner. Thanks again
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem is either a short to ground on the circuit somewhere in the harness or high current draw in one of the components. This circuit pwoers the SKIM module, horn, rear defrost, mass airflow sensor, the horn, trans, and circulation pump relays.

IF you unplug the mass airflow sensor and turn the key on does the fuse blow?