Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

My name is ***** *****, I had a rat get into my 98 ram 1500

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, I had a rat get into my 98 ram 1500 and I had to change the relay box, headlight harness and dash harness. We could only find a harness out of a 99 model***** We have everything changed and it appears all is working except the vehicle wont start. The starter sylonoid is clicking but the starter won't turn over.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm sorry the starter relay clicks in the relay box but the starter does not even try to engage. We could get the truck to start with the old harness spliced back together but didn't have any dash functions.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Take you 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and see if you have key on cranking power at the starter relay on pins 85 and 30. If you find you do then check to make sure you have a good ground on pin 85 and power out to the starter on pin 87. I have enclosed the wiring diagram for reference in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Start%20circuit%20Jan%2025.pdf