-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2010 Dodge Journey Power Steering hose leak. I need to know

Customer Question

2010 Dodge Journey Power Steering hose leak. I need to know if it is possible to change the rubber hose on the power steering return line. One end goes over the nipple end of a metal hose line (no problem) but the other end of the 12" rubber hose has what looks like a metal compression clamp on it, and then metal tubing from that clamp
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Can I get the last 8 of your VIN to see what hoses we offer on your power steering hose?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
9AT122411
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry AT122411
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the VIN!!!

That VIN comes back on a 2010 Brilliant Black Journey and I attached the power steering hoses.. #1 is the pressure hose.. And I'm now looking for your part number 05085546AE to see if I can find it.. Do you see the hose you need?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I don't see it, I had the same hose blow last winter,the vehicle was under warranty so I took it in, now it blew again 13 months ago (1 year parts and labor really helped me on this one). So I think the dealership put in someother hose/line configuration, because all the pictures I have seen show metal tubing connecting to the return line. My vehicle has rubber hose continuing up the passenger side for the vehicle. I drew a picture of what my configuration looks like.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

It looks like #8 the bottom one is your hose... The left side goes to the rack and pinion..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
in your pictures #8 is closet, but do you see how in your picture it goes from the threaded end down metal tubing to the 12" ruber hose section then straight in metal tubing again. My picture has the treaded end going to metal tubing in the 12"rubber hose section then after the metal bend it goes back into 8-12" of rubber hose then compression clamped to metal tubing. I can have access to that section of rubber hose at the passenger side wheel hub area. I cant see my configuration on any internet or part pictures
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

I ran your VIN thru our Dodge parts and it's listing these hoses for your vehicle.. #8 goes from the rack and pinion to the pump.. I took another picture..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that picture is the same as the last. Do I have to replace the entire line, in the vehicle it looks like it snakes all the way up to the front of the vehicle, or can't I just change the rubber hose section that is leaking
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I realize that is the part that is listed under dodge parts bu that is not what is under my vehicle
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

No it comes as you see it from us(Dodge). And the rubber hoses are serviced as an assembly.. Also after clicking #8 it shows it'snot for your vehicle per VIN... The ones that are on your vehicle are #1, #6 and #9..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Number 9 section of hose/tubing is on my vehicle YES? But my leak is not in the #9 section. My issue is on the rubber hose that is attached to #9 on the right hand side (passenger side). Again one, end is attached to #9 via a basic hose clamp (I can that end off) the other end of the 12" rubber hose is attached to metal tubing that has a compression clamp. Can I get that off and replace the hose and compression clamp
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

If I'm looking at it right the bottom of #6 goes to #9.. Correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's possible, if the bottom of #6 is rubber hose. I don't think I can change all of #6.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

If so then #6 is serviced as an assembly but you can just replace by taking a cut off wheel and cutting the compression clamp off and sliding the hose off.. But make sure you get power steering pressure hose to go back on and I would knurl the end of the hose and use 2 clamps to ensure a good seal.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

If you were to bring your vehicle to my dealership we would replace the entire #6 assy for you...

I hope this helps,

Brad

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Then I need to know the right type and size of hose to buy because the inside diameter would be absolutely crucial
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what do you mean knurl the end of the hose
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

I would remove it and take it to the parts store so you get the correct hose.. And by knurl you will want to roll the end up a little so the hose doesn't slide off.. or flare it with the attached tool.

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

If you need more assistance feel free to reply, if your all set I would appreciate a positive rating..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

Ray it shows you have asked 11 questions and only rated 5 which means we as experts are going to bet you won't rate so it may be harder to get your questions answered in the future.. Without the rating we aren't credited..

Expert:  -Brad- replied 9 months ago.

Hello?