-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2003 Dodge 1500 4.7 This vehicle will not start when the

Customer Question

2003 Dodge 1500 4.7
This vehicle will not start when the temperature is below 40 degrees....but starts every time if it is above 40 degrees.
Things that I have already changed: Thermostat, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor and the computer.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

When it will not start are you missing spark or fuel? Also what codes are setting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no codes, yes missing spark and fuel.

when you try to start it, it only turns for a second and then cuts itself off and you have to turn ignition completely off and try again, but then it cuts off again

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

Can I get your VIN number?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

1D7HA18N73J591146

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

I attached the starter wiring diagram.. When you said the starter will turn for a second and stop I will need to know what is going on by removing the starter relay and testing pins 30 and 86 for 12v, then test pin 85 for a ground when cranking..

Let me know what your missing so we can trace it to the issue..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok, pin 30 has 12 volts when key is on, pin 86 has 12 volts when in start position only and pin 85 shows ground all the time

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

Ok it sounds like the relay has everything it needs to send 12v to the starter and your saying it will not start now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no, it turns over about a turn and a half then cuts off and you have to physically turn ignition all the way off and then back to start position and it just does the same thing over and over.

I can install a manual test relay and the spin the starter indefinitely but it will still not start/run

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

WHen it quits cranking I will need to know what pins are loosing voltage or ground so I can trace it back and see what's going on.. And it doesn't have any codes in any module?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

NO CODES

I am using a digital voltmeter with the relay removed...i show two constant ground and a constant 12 volt and a start 12 volt and I do not show to be loosing any without the relay in there, but when relay is reinstalled and you turn key to the start position, the relay comes on and immediately goes back off, but I cannot tell which pin it is because they all seem normal when the relay is out???

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

At this point you will need a DRBIII scantool to retrieve the codes from the TIPM module and see what the PCM says for "Ok to start" or denied due to ? Without a scantool you will be checking things all day, and with a scantool it's diagnosed in 5 min...

If you can get the codes and post them here I will be able to see what exactly is going on and how to repair it..

Have a great weekend,

Brad