Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

I have an 2006 grand caravan sxt 3.8L that is stalling 5min

Customer Question

Customer: I have an 2006 grand caravan sxt 3.8L that is stalling 5min after idling and while driving. I've changed the crank, map, cam sensors, harness and the cpu. Still a problem. Like the car and thinking of scrapping it. I have 3 kids and this thing is a death trap
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all i can think of Before that it was not starting and check engine light was coming on which initiated the sensor codes. after they were changed the stalling issue showed up
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is Vlad.

Sorry to hear about your van stalling issue.

As I can't actually diagnose you car, I would like to get more information in order to give you the most possible correct answer.

1) When it stalls, can you restart it or you have to wait for some time till it starts again?

2) If it does not restart, what exactly happens? I am trying to find if your starter engages and turn the engine over but it won't fire up, correct?

3) You said they replaced the Crank and Cam sensors, were they genuine Mopar parts or aftermarket sensors?

4) Does it set any trouble codes now, after stalling?

Thanks.Vlad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Starts within 30-60 seconds. Then hesitates for a while. Sometimes steaks again or is fine.3) after market parts4) same check engine codes
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

If you get crank or cam sensor related codes like : no crank or cam signal at PCM or intermittent signal ect, then I would replace both sensors with genuine Mopar parts. We have had a lot of problems with aftermarket sensors so I would avoid using it just to be sure.

I would think it could be fuel related issues( like fuel pump does not supply enough fuel) but it less likely based on information you provided. Sounds much more like you are missing a spark due to missing or corrupted crank/cam signals.

If you could tell me exact trouble codes number or just whatever scan tool shows, it would help.