Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Waggoner, small oil leak. Dripped to a quarter size after

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** waggoner, small oil leak. Dripped to a quarter size after sitting for 5 hours.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Changed the oil last night. New oi filter too. I noticed oil built up by the oil filter. I guess it is running down from somewhere, coming down oil filter side, hitting oil pan in the top right corner, and coming down the oil pan and slowly dripping off the bottom of the oil pan.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I paid the deposit.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I add a picture to show were the oil leak is dripping. You can see where my front tires were and how much oil has dripped in 3 - 4 hours.
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

What year and engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1999 5.9 360
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Do you have the VIN handy, I'm sorry but I don't see a 99 with the 360 engine sold in the US market, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

I do see a 1998. Same 360 engine.

BRB

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
3B7HF13Z2XG124620
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Dodge Ram, ok, I was looking at Jeep wagoneer, lol. Thanks.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

Can you see on the rear of the intake manifold, there is the oil pressure sender. They can leak a small amount at first and as they progress the leak can become more severe.

Just see if it is wet with oil. Also if there any trace on the top part of the bell housing, (trans) that may indicate an intake leak, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Here is a diagram of it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, it is late, and I have a busy day tomorrow. I will look at this late Saturday or Sunday. Is this a big big deal or am I ok for a day or two?
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

At that rate the leak should not be a problem. If it gets much worse you will know it, the oil will get on the exhaust and smoke quite a bit. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

You’re welcome and please come again, anytime, thanks.

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.