Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

The oil separator mount on top of valve cover is spraying

Customer Question

Customer: the oil separator mount on top of valve cover is spraying oil everywhere and running rough
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2003 dodge sprinter 2500, Mercedes 5 cylinder
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: from the hose that lead to the seporater
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 10 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

It sounds like you may possibly have a bad cylinder and/or piston. The oil spray and rough running engine leads me to believe this. Has a compression test been ran on the engine? If not, this will be the first recommended diagnostic test to determine if there is internal engine damage..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could it be the oil separator

The oil separator is designed to do nothing but attempt to separate oil from crankcase vapors and drain the oil back into the engine so that it won't get drawn in by the turbo. Oil spray from the oil separator is a symptom of excessive crankcase pressure. When this happens, the oil separator cannot separate the oil fast enough and will cause oil spray through the separator. The rough running engine leads me to believe that the loss of compression past the rings is causing the excess pressure in the crankcase and the resulting oil spraying out the oil separator.

I've also seen this condition actually blow oil back up through the dipstick tube when the engine is running and the dipstick is not fully seated in the bore. Try removing the engine dipstick with the engine running and see if oil blows up the dipstick tube..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it try's to blow up the dipstick tube...
I was hoping for an easy repair..Like clogged air filter or separator

Any time I've had those symptoms, each vehicle needed engine repair. Compression test is the best starting point to determine if you want to spend the money on engine repair if it ends up going that way..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
now there's no temp repair to remove the pressure??

No, definitely not, If there is compression loss past the piston rings, there would be no way to stop this problem from happening other than doing a proper repair on the engine..