Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2006 dodge Durango; all dash lights came on and began

Customer Question

Customer: 2006 dodge Durango; all dash lights came on and began flickering and eventually lost power to the vehicle
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not much other than its happened before & I disconnected the battery to try simple reset and it eventually happens again; only 56k miles on the car
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the battery or alternator tested at all?

Are you losing all electronics with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Battery is new; alternator good. Dash lights flickered on and off the last time and eventually lost all engine power while driving. Haven't driven since too dangerous
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,when you disconnect the battery does it reset and then start and run properly for a short time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that had seemed to work before. I usually had to do that if I used the car wash because of the cowl screen problem. There was no water or rain involved on this occasion
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all?

This sounds like a fault with the electronic ignition switch or the instrument cluster itself.The instrument gauge cluster is a computer in this model here and when it starts to act up it can cause issues similar to this.The ignition switch contacts can fail or act up intermittently and fail to send the correct signals and cause this as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete