Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Of the four instruments on my instrument panel on my 2000

Customer Question

Of the four instruments on my instrument panel on my 2000 Dodge Caravan, the only instrument that works is the gas gauge. Periodically the other three will move and sometimes register. What's my problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. This problem is either caused by a bad BCM or a bad instrument cluster.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You can run a self test on the instrument cluster to see if it responds normal.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Here is the self test.

1. Begin the test with the ignition switch in the OFF position.
2. Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
3. While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
4. Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
5. The instrument cluster will simultaneously begin to illuminate all of the operational segments in the LCD unit and perform a bulb check of each operational Light Emitting Diode (LED) indicator. The LCD segments and LED indicators remain illuminated as each gauge needle is swept to several calibration points and back. If a VFD segment or an LED indicator fails to illuminate, or if a gauge needle fails to sweep through the calibration points and back during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced.
6. The self test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test. The self test will be aborted if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM over the CAN data bus during the test.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If this checks out good, I would suspect a bad body contro module. If this tests fails, then the instrument cluster is bad and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found this far too complicated to follow at a rather high cost. I had to to take the vehicle in to have the problem diagnosed and repaired. I did not like the language used in setting up the cost for your information. I thought I was authorizing the withdrawal for $5.00, but when I checked my online banking info, another $33.00 was already withdrawn. Not real happy with your service. I sure wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you feel that way. I just answered the questions you asked.