Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I am going down to Guatemala to tackle the sprinter either

Customer Question

Hi Robert:
I am going down to Guatemala to tackle the sprinter either Feb. 8 or march 28.
I am looking for more info on the DPF system on this vehicle. I am unable to locate anything
on balance tube pressures or wiring? I have the engine wiring diagram for this engine and it shows nothing on this part of the vehicle. It shows the temp. sensors but not the differential sensors or wiring.
Would you be able to round up this info and send it to me?
Also I have been thinking about the clouds of blue smoke and no rpms that came out of the tail pipe. I am thinking possibly that the cam sensor has gone bad.
What do you think?Thank you Robert.
I sure appreciate having someone with experience that I can lean on .
I fear I will spend all that money and time to go there and not be able to rectify this vehicles running problems. The ministry is depending on me and I would feel bad if I let them down.
'gary
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 10 months ago.

Hello Gary,

Ok, I need the year of the Sprinter to round up the correct wiring info. I don't have the year handy at this time..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2007 Dodge Sprinter MANUFACTURE DATE: 05/2007
1. ENGINE OM 642 LA CID 182
1. VIN: WD8BE845X75188851
Engine family, 7MBXH3..00DJB…code 1
Fuel rate at advance output…50-55 mm cubed per stroke
The model of the thing is 2500.
KM 153714 April 28/15
Thank you Richard,
I dont know why it is so difficult to find this info..
gary

Hi, Sorry for the delay. I searched around and about all I could find is the wiring diagram and connector pin chart for the Differential pressure sensor..

here you go:

Click for diagram

Click for pin chart

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you. that will do it.
I have the engine wiring diagram and it doesnt show it.
gary

Cool, let me know if you need any other info...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
here is a bunch of final questions before I head out next week.
Do you have the temps. the exhaust sensors are looking for during regen?
Do you have a ohm schedule for these sensors?
What is the cdi looking for on the exhaust press. diff. sensor? voltage wise?
is the intake runner open at 95 duty cycle or closed?
Is closed close to the proximity switch or open?
is the voltage from the intake sensors 5volts with the metal close or zero?
sorry if im such a pain.
I found this company called compuflash that can flash the modules in vehicle,
but not this one because I replaced it last year with a used one.
Thanks Robert,
gary

Hello, I'll answer the questions the best that I can....

Each exhaust temp sensor is looking for a different temp depending on it's location. They are looking at a max of around 1200 degrees at the DPF. Any higher and damage to the DPF can occur. The actual temperatures requested are not published. The way we test the sensors is to let the vehicle set overnight then scan the vehicle and monitor the sensor values on a cold engine before the first start. ALL temperature sensors (including coolant, etc) should be reading within 10 degrees of ambient temperature and they should be within that amount of variance between them. Replace any exhaust temp sensors that are out of this range. As for resistance value specs, There are no published specs on the service info for Sprinters. With factory scanners, I tend to just go by the temperature values as displayed on the scanner as opposed to viewing the voltages and/or measuring the resistance of the sensors.

I'm sorry, I don't have that info. As for pressure value, the closer to zero the better....

at 95 percent duty cycle, the intake runners would be closed. When the servomotor is at rest, it should be holding the swirl valves fully open.

Closed should be close to the proximity sensor.

As for the voltage, I'm not sure I would have to check for this next time I work on one...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Robert:
I am in Guatemala.
The LHM was the EGR.
We now have boost, but we have another problem.At arounf 25oo rpm under load it starts bucking.
If you use light throttle it will drive right through to full rpm.
I removed the delete and around 2000 rpms it starts slightly running rough and blowing raw blue smoke out the tail pipe.
under more throttle and rpms it chugs and billows out blue smoke..
Just wondering if you have ideas on this?
thanks ,gary
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

Blue smoke is normally oil burning in the engine or being blown out via a faulty turbocharger. The rough running is most likely due to a faulty injector. Most likely sticking partially open, this can cause the bucking and possibly contribute to the blue smoke. At this time, I recommend to have the injectors tested or replaced....

PS - Sorry for the delayed response, the question timed out and went off my "Waiting for expert response" list....

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Robert...Thanks again for keeping on this with me.
The blue smoke only happens with the dpf delete removed. I believe it is the sprinter trying to regen with no catalyst.
It runs clean with the dpf delete from GDE installed.
I think my main concern is the middle, pass. side injector. It missfires every third stroke.
Then under load above 2500 rpm the engine goes into a fuel cut in/out...in/out sequence...and the vehicle bucks.
I will try to send pics. for you to inspect.
To me it is telling us that the computer is doing this for some reason and not the injector. but I have no clue.
It was suggested that it may be over fueling. It sets no codes.. The fuel quantity corrections are all showing zero..if that means anything?
thanks again,
gary
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

I have seen injectors intermittently stick causing an intermittent misfire condition. At this time I would lean more towards a failing injector...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Robert:
There is no firing voltage which means that the ecm is not sending the command.
If the injectors were sticking it would be evident in the firing line. They are not sticking.
I got it going. It lost its ID.
I have a couple codes flagging now.p3137..p2952 and p2953..all intake runner I believe. It is suposed to have an intake runner delete.
Do you have info on these codes?
I sure thank you for your input.
gary
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

That would do it. An invalid injector id entered in the ECM will cause drivability issues.

As for your codes. As long as the vehicle is not in "Limp in" everything should be ok. You stated that the ECM has had the Swirl Valve Delete and DPF Delete. These codes are directly related to that and at this point would probably be considered erroneous codes. The programming may have not completely gotten rid of the Swirl And DPF Monitors.

Either way, here is some info on the codes you posted:

3137 ----->> Click Here

Star Case #***** ----> Click Here

Star Case #***** -----> Click Here

Thank you,

Robert

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

Robert