Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

My name is ***** *****. i own auto repair shop and am a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****. i own auto repair shop and am a strong b tech . i have a 02 town and country 3.3 that was towed in last week with a crank no start condition. Customer said the van died while driving 45 MPH so i checked for spark and there was none and check for fuel witch was all so a no. OK so ASD is not kicking on. A little more testing and i found the fuel pump is getting power and has good ground as does the coil but no flash at the coil. So i decided to wire direct the pump and still no pump. dig a little more and throw a noid on the injector connector and yes i have a flash. Throw a scan tool on it and i see crank ref and cam ref. What am i missing. Little history would be rodent damage in the past with this van. I see nothing at this time and oddly enough it happen going 45 MPH
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have no codes
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

OK, in reading your question I see that there is injector pulse and the fuel pump is working, so I'll assume the engine is getting fuel but no spark, correct? Also, by you stating cam and crank ref are there, am I to assume both signals are OK and synchronized with no code P0320 or P0340? If so, can you switch the ignition on and check if there is power on the Brown/White wire that goes to the coil pack? If there is power, can you rig the Noid light or a use a LED test light on any of other three coil wires (Dk Blue/Dk Green, Dk Blue/Tan and Dk Blue/Orange) to see if the PCM is switching the primary circuits off and on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the fuel pump is getting power but it is bad. i do have cam and crank ref according to my scan tool. I am getting power to the coil but the pcm is not switching the primary circuits

OK. Thanks for letting me know about the fuel pump - I guess you will take care of that later. Regarding not having spark, there are two possibilities that come to mind:

1. The PCM is not getting good cam and crank signals
  2. The PCM is getting good cam and crank signals but is not switching the coil fields - which will mean a bad PCM.

If the PCM is bad, I would recommend replacing the coil pack as well - Chrysler does not give out resistance specifications for those coils and it is very possible they are the cause of the PCM going bad.

Please let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will test in the am. Concerns me that we have fuel pump and pcm failure at the same time.

If it's any consolation, I've seen much worse (fuel pump, alternator and PCM gone bad on the same vehicle!). Now, let's clarify because I don't wan't you to misunderstand what I'm saying here: you stated the fuel pump was bad, I was unaware of that fact. As of the primary concern, all I'm doing is trying to help you diagnose a no-spark condition, which, as I clearly stated, could be caused by either bad cam and crank signals or a bad PCM. Check those signals, don't jump the gun and get a new PCM without doing that first.

Please let me know what you find in the morning and we'll take it from there.

Best Regards.

Hi again.

How are you doing with that Town & Country? Anything I can do to help?