-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

An 06 Grand Caravan with a P2303 code and occasionally P0300

Customer Question

Customer: An 06 Grand Caravan with a P2303 code and occasionally P0300
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it is not firing on cylinders 1 and 4 out of the coil, replaced coil twice and when using a test light on the constant from the ASD relay it is at the coil connector (test light connected to ground). Then move test light to positive all three signals in the coil connector flash when the engine is cranked.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have also replaced the plugs and wires as well. For testing on output of coil, I use one of the old plug wires and a spark tester. Removed wires one at a time and put on the tester and old wire. 2, 3, 5, and 6 all seem to function, nothing on 1 and 4. Using the flow chart, it seems as everything checks out and points to the coil. Second new one now, brand is BWD.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

If you have a misfire on #1 and #4 and the coil is not sending a spark on those cylinders then you need to disconnect the coil and since the ASD has a constant 12v feed then you will need to check the coil driver circuit from the PCM by connecting your test light to the positive post and probe the driver wires and see if it flashes.. You stated you connected to ground which is why I need for you to test it correctly and let me know what you find. I suspect that since you have a new coil and it's doing the same then then your PCM coil drivers and bad and the PCM will need to be replaced..

I hope this helps,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

I see this question is still open.. Don't forget to rate so I'm compensated for my time..

Have a greatday,

Brad

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, if you look above and read thoroughly I did move the test light to positive to test the 3 signal wires and stated that all 3 blink/flashed. So following the flow chart from alldata, everything checked out and points to the coil as all signal wires flash. Once I done it again at night realized that one signal sense was not as bright as the other two. So I went ahead and ordered a pcm and scheduled for it to be programed/flashed. I was looking for another technician to spit ball ideas as I seemed to be stumped as everything pointed toward a coil. I leave for Afghanistan this weekend and went ahead and trudged on. Oh and ohm'd all signal wires for resistance with all readings being .1 - .2 ohms within the specs of the flowchart of 5 ohms.So to clarify
1 Tested ASD supply at coil connector with test light probing connector and clipped to battery negative2 Tested all three signals at coil connector probing connector with test light clipped to battery positive while engine cranks.3 Checked battery voltage on ASD circuit while cranking with fluke meter hooked to connector with + lead and - lead to battery negative with battery voltage read.4 Used meter to ohm out connector 2 (orange) at the pcm and the coil connector with .1 - .2 ohms on all three signal circuits.Parts replaced already was a coil (it was cracked), 6 new plugs gapped to .050, new plug wires, and now waiting on a new pcm.Hopefully this is direct enough.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.

If the test light didn't light up bright in the coil driver circuits from the PCM then the PCM is bad and it will need to be replaced..