Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a dodge sprinter 2.7 diesel that some time the van

Customer Question

hello I have a dodge sprinter 2.7 diesel that some time the van turns off by it self but it turns right back on what can I check
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What do you mean by turns off? The radio, dash, everything completely shuts off like you turned the key off?

Then when it does you hear the starter starting it again just like you turned the key to the start position?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

turns off but all the lights stay on including the radio

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes

You would have to have several problems for that to happen while the vehicle is in gear.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I turn on the car and I let it on and after a bit turns off by itself, or when I'm coming to stop sign the car turns off

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: I still need help.

How does it restart?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

RIGHT WAY LIKE NOTHING HAPPEN

You restart it or it restarts on its own?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I re start ir

Have you checked it for codes yet? I would suspect a crank sensor but I would think by now it would have flagged a code if that was it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I replaced it

Have you checked it for codes yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes but i dont have them with me

Can you get back to me with them?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

good morning the codes that I have the code 2017-001 rail pressure -the rail pressure is too low,

I assume since this started you have been through at least a tank of fuel?

How long has it been since the fuel filter has been changed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I replace the fuel filter, the crank sensor, fuel rail sensor that goes in front of the fuel real also the oil level sensor

Is it possible to monitor the fuel pressure while driving it and see if the pressure drops when it dies?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how would I do that?

I have a fuel pressure gauge but for gas I have nothing for diesel. you think I can do it with my scan tool

Yes if you got a decent scan tool. Look for the fuel pressure on it and let me know what the pressure or voltage is reading both when its running and when it dies. Also check the freeze frame data and see what the fuel pressure was showing when it died.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok I tried to due that but on my matco scan tool I don't know to get those readings and my snap on scanner is out getting repair

these happens when the temperature gauge reaches 180 degrees and after that the car keeping turning off every thirty seconds or less, but remember only happens when the car is at idle or coming to stop sign, and when you turn the key turns right back up like nothing but in thirty seconds or less huts off again

Is your snapon scan tool coming back? Its a difficult situation to diagnose (especially remotely) and we need to start somewhere. It sounds like you are best off waiting on your snap on scan tool since I am familiar with those and can tell you where to find readings. All we know so far is it stalls and it only does it when the fuel system enters closed loop so we can assume its most likely fuel related.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok.

Let me know either when you get your snap on tool back or figure out where to find the readings on the scan tool that you have and we can move on.