Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2001 dodge ram sport, 225k miles. factory alarm goes off

Customer Question

2001 dodge ram sport, 225k miles. factory alarm goes off for no reason in the middle of the night/day multiple times when I am not home. I thought I solved it by removing the alarm relay under the hood. Still happening. Just removed the horn fuse (also under the hood) to spare the neighbors. How do I eliminate this problem? Could it be a defective keyfob in range? I want it disabled permanently but I want to keep my keyfob to unlock doors.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this issue occurs only when the doors are locked the most common fault for this here is a faulty door position switch/sensor.This is a sensor that sends a signal that the door is opened or closed.If it is sending a false signal that the door has been opened when in fact it is actually closed and the locks have been locked this will set off the alarm like this here.This is most common with the drivers door position switch/sensor itself as this is the door that is used the most.I have had to replace this several times before for this fault here.

The switch/sensor is usually part of the door latch itself and usually the entire door latch needs replaced.Some models have a separate plunger type sensor that is pressed in by the door when the door closes and is located on the dash or near the door latch striker on the body.If your model does not have this manual plunger type sensor then the door latch itself needs replaced.

The only way to be sure this is the cause for the fault here is to have this checked with a scan tool to observe the data from the sensor and kind of push and pull on the drivers door to see if the data changes from closed to open when the door is closed.I suspect the drivers door latch does need replaced as this is most common for this fault.

I show a cost of $85 from a dealer and right under an hours labor to have replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, I dont think thats it. I appreciate the time you took to articulate your answer but I dont think we solved it yet. I have plunger style door switches and I am not able to duplicate the issue. I hold in the plunger (as if the door is closed) and then lock the doors using the keyfob. If your theory is correct the horn would go off when I release the plunger. This is not the case. is there a flaw in my test procedure?Also, why is this still happening after I removed the alarm relay from under the hood? I am still seeing the red led flash to show its alarmed as well. Shouldnt this all be disabled without the relay?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay do you still need help with this here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All set, thank you Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if there is anything else I can help with here let me know and feel free to rate my help if you like.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, I didn't rate you because i didn't want to give you unfavorable marks. I only had the day to work on the truck. We didnt resolve it and you never answered my follow up questions. Your response (that was lacking answers to my follow up questions) was too late. I had to send the truck in to be diagnosed because I couldn't afford to have the horn go off again in the middle of the night. I requested refund from just answer.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem.Once again I do apologize for the delay and hope you will give me a second chance in the future.

Thanks Pete