Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that won't start. I think

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that won't start. I think we need to test the PCM but do not have test lights. Is there any other way to test it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 10 months ago.

Hi Nicole,

My name is Vlad.

Does you starter engage and turn the motor when you turn the key in START?

Please reply back

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We just got it running. No codes on diagnostic but we did just replace the battery.

Well, if it was just a bad battery, then it is simple.

It is worth to check that nothing drains you battery if that battery was not to old and just got flat.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It wasn't just the battery. That was just one of the problems. We replaced spark plugs last night as well. There is a lot of white smoke coming from the tail pipe

White smoke is not a good sign, it usually happens when coolant gets into engine cylinders.

So what is the problem now? with new battery it starts and runs?

Why do you need a test light to check PCM and what are you going to check about it?

I am just a bit confused with that new information you added, please clarify.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just wondering if that's why it wouldn't start in the first place. Even after new battery it wouldn't start until just now. Code that just came up is U110c. What is that?

This trouble codes indicates that PCM has not received Fuel Level BUS message from BCM. It could be caused by weak battery, so I would erase that code and check if it comes back.

You say it would not start. If you starter engages and cranks the engine but it won't fire up, then you might have an intermittent problem with crank or cam position sensor.

If you starter does not engage, then it could be completely different problem.

So it is really important to know what exactly happens to give you a correct advise

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we finally had gotten it started after trying different things for the past few days. But the van shakes and makes gurgling noises as if it will stall. When I shut it off, there was more gurgling, sounded like fluid and bubbles under the hood, almost like water running through a pipe.

You mentioned white smoke before, so I can only link gurgling noise and rough running with possible cylinder head gasket issue allowing coolant go into a cylinder. That could cause rough running and possible overheating or engine "boiling" after turning it off.

Sometimes if it is really bad, you can see some signs on spark plugs that you replaced recently.

I would check for CO presence in your coolant, it is called "engine block testing".

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We're going to assume going forward that it's a blown head gasket.

Well, is white smoke comes of the tail pipe all the time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It didn't before today. Then once we got it started finally there was a lot of it.

Ok, maybe it was just un-burnt fuel that accumulated when it was not starting.

Regarding shaking( misfiring) make sure your ignition leads are OK, could be carbon tracking issue.

Regarding noise, you need to find if it is coming from the cooling system or not.