Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Just filled my 2006 ram 2500 5.9 up with diesel.. Got to

Customer Question

Just filled my 2006 ram 2500 5.9 up with diesel.. Got to next light.. Truck started idling rough and no power.. It idles fine.. But revs up then dies.. I can hold the brake pedal and give pressure to gas pedal and engine doesn't increase rpms
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Truck idles fine in neutral and starts idling rough when I put it into gear.. No response from pedal.. The when I shift back into park the idles increases for a second then drops back to lower rpm..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question!

I’m a retired master technician and tech instructor with over 30 years experience. I also have access to a pretty good database on automotive service and repair. All of which enables me to often times offer you an educated guess on what the problem with your vehicle might be. However, if you’re thinking on working on the vehicle yourself, all my knowledge and resources won’t help you if you…

… don’t have tools or the skill to use them

… don’t realize it may take a few back and forth replies to solve the issue

… are not aware of the fact that there will probably be some special tools and equipment needed for a proper diagnosis

In reading the symptoms you describe, it seems the problem occurs in direct relation to the amount of fuel in the tank. If so, the first thing I would do is look for a potential discrepancy in fuel pressure from the lift pump. Normally and regardless of whether the fuel tank is full or half full, that pressure should be 17-22 psi at idle and 25-30 psi at 2500 RPM with no load. Too high or too low would mean trouble and the need for further diagnosis.

Best Regards.