sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Have a 2008 dodge Dakota-3.7--new battery,good

Customer Question

have a 2008 dodge Dakota-3.7--new battery,good alternator--dies at any given time going down the road-put in neutral,turn key off then to start-runs fine again til it happens again--doesn't die at idle,runs great,codes that come on when happens is many electrical problem codes--wiring and connections look good.any advice from you on where to start??thanks-mike
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

You need to tell me exactly what codes come up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
mike have you ever heard of instrument cluster connections causing alot of weird electrical problems,codes and shutting vehicle off--to fix I turn key off,restart and continue driving for 1 day or 3 weeks before it does it again--has had so many electical codes I can't count-such as loss of power to power module--loss of power to ecm-loss of power to fuel pump-now that the battery is new and all working ok --I just get a code for IPC and my reader tells me it probably has a bad connection and to start there,which does make sense because when driving today right before it happened doing 75mph the speed all of a sudden was staying at 60 mph and the rest of the gauges were going to the middle.seconds later truck dies-I put in neutral at around 70 mph.turn key off then to start-runs good,gauges work,put back in drive at about 55 and off I go.any thoughts on this angle of attach on this mopar menagery.thanks--mike w.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

The instrument cluster? No, I never heard of that.

Who retrieved those codes?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

What is a IPC?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry it took so long getting back to you.been driving it daily with a matco code reader with me so I could read as I go--died 3 times in last two days only while driving down the road.codes--U0141 alot and these codes a few times U110C U1403 U110E truck runs great 90 % of the time. my reader says lost communication with body control module A --where is that? and when I use the code connect feature on the reader it tells me the only reported fix for this is a connection at the IPC = which means to them instrument panel cluster they claim.. this tool is 75% correct for the last 5 years but those 25% of the time it had me chasing my tail and the correction for the problem wasn't even close to what the proper repair it needed was.I'd rather pay you if you can tell me where the problem really is and help me not chase my tail this time please.thanks-mike w
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Let me look those up.

U110C refers to No fuel level Bus messages are received from the PCM for 20 seconds and possible causes are PCI Bus circuit open between PCM and BCM or Fuel level Bus message circuit failure or of course bcm failure.

Give me a moment for the rest, but the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) in this vehicle also includes the hardware and software necessary to serve as the electronic body control module and is sometimes referred to as the Cab Compartment Node or CCN.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Let me just give you the test procedures for each code while I see if there are any tsb's about these codes and the engine stalling.

First one U0141-Lost Communication With Front Control Module

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

U110C-No Fuel Level Bus Message Received

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

U1403-Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

U110E-Lost Ambient Temperature Message

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

I don't see any tsb's about any of these.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

If you need any more of those specific tests mentioned in any pdf, let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where exactly is the front control module??got any pics or links? where is the harness plug that has a loose connection that people talk about?I think most of these codes are related to where I find the problem,please give me the locations and I'll check them out and let you know.How long does it take to pull the dash cluster to look at the plug on it ?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

The Front Control Module is bolted to the power distribution center.

Here is the procedure for removing it,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

I don't know anything about any loose harness. If you could provide the links that you were reading, maybe I can locate it or a number to it.

It takes 0.8 hours to R&R the instrument cluster.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

I did read that first U0141 pdf in that one pdf, If there more than one module with active DTCs “Logged Against” the FCM Replace/update the Front Control Module in accordance with the

Service Information.

That does appear so, since U1403 says, "The Front Control Module isn't receiving a fuel volume signal over CAN B from the Cluster Module."

The U110C says The fuel level signal is sent to the FCM over the CAN B bus circuit.

The U110E says The ambient temperature sensor signal is a direct input to the FCM.

That tells me that the fcm is at fault.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Here is the section about the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

The Integrated Power Module is a combination of the Power Distribution Center and the Front Control Module .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is the easiest relearn process after I put it back together?thx
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Body Verification Test

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi mike--what did the $28 THEY HAD ME PAY FOR GO TO.thanks--am trying what you said to look for,found loose body ground at inner fender--drove 60 miles tonight with no problem--will drive til wed and let you know--thx
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

The $28 is just a deposit until you either give me a good rating and then I get 1/2 of that and the company gets the other 1/2 or you are not satisfied with my answer, then you give me a negative rating and ask for a refund of your deposit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
trust me you won't get a bad rating
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Great, where did we leave off? Are you going to work on it today?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Did we conclude you needed a new Front Control Module?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
After I wiggled the harness connections at the module it has run fine--will continue to drive for 3 more days and let you know--it's -30 below zero with the chill factor here today.thx
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Great!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
drove it all week died 5 times--this time no codes-restarted right away and was ok--any more ideas on where to look?thanks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

No, not this time without any codes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did you ask anyone at work today if they heard of this?? thx
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what did your fellow dodge techs tell you?? I went to 2 different dealerships today and talked to the techs on their lunch breaks--4 different ones told me crank and cam sensors have this problem often and more times than not will leave no code--went to crank sensor,wires chewed from mice--I replaced crank sensor and plug end--will let you know how it turns out---probably had a few problems--hope this works.thanks--mike w.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the crank sensor wiring was chewed to the point that a wire was losing connection then it would cause a dying issue but then it should have been setting a crank sensor code. If either the cam or crank sensor signal drops out and the PCM stills sees RPM from the opposite sensor then a code will set. In older systems the cam and crank sensor shared a reference voltage circuit and a failure in one sensor or the other could prevent the opposite from creating a signal and then no code can set, but that won't be the case with an NGC control system. A crank sensor issue wouldn't explain the other codes that are setting. I suspect the PCM itself may be going down either due to an internal failure or loss of power or ground.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thankyou for your reply,ever since i wiggled all the connectors at the pcm, or at least at all the connectors at the fuse box area ,I have not got any other codes or weird dash cluster symptoms like it had--I'll let you know how it works for the next 3 days..If the pcm is bad --how much should that cost me at the dealer total parts and labor out the door in your estimate??thanks

Do you have the VIN?