Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 02 dodge ram 2500 4x4 cummins with automatic

Customer Question

i have a 02 dodge ram 2500 4x4 cummins with automatic transmission the transmission has first second and reverse I tried to scan system with a matco maximus 2.0 and it says tcm not equipped the only system it finds when i do a complete scan is the pcm i have an abs light on and i can not scan the abs either
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be a fault with a shift solenoid or wheel speed sensor sending an incorrect signal on what speed the wheels are operating at as the computers use this signal to help determine shift points.You will have to access a different scan tool to check all computers especially the ans computer to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.If you can get the codes checked and post the code info here let me know as this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried scanning it with another scan tool it simply says abs unavailable and when i scan for transmisson codes is say transmission unavailable what is the tcm on this truck is it in the pcm on the passanger side fire wall and does it control abs also
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your model has a transmission control relay located in the power distribution center fuse panel as seen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7xusutv8qwgs62/tr-01-11.gif?dl=0.

Your PCM (powertrain control module) controls the relay as well as other transmission controls and monitors sensors and solenoids in the transmission itself so this model doesnt use a transmission control module ecu separately.

The PCM is located in the engine compartment next to the fuel transfer pump.https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b7e6s4ptjygg0t/pcm-01-11.gif?dl=0

Your abs is controlled by the anti lock brake control itself and is located on the anti lock brake hydraulic unit as seen here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/swowz9jcuq5gj3h/ebcm-01-11.gif?dl=0

If no scan tool will communicate with the anti lock brake control unit but you can communicate with the PCM and no codes are set in the PCM I still suspect this is an anti lock brake issue causing this here.With no communication with it the EBCM which is the computer seen in the diagram above bolted to the anti lock brake hydraulic unit may be at fault internally and needs replaced.Make sure the wiring is all o.k. to it and connections as well as no blown fuses.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete