Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have a 2008 dodge 2500 4d mega cab. I have two problems:

Customer Question

I have a 2008 dodge 2500 4d mega cab. I have two problems: 1. Is manual heating controls that don't light up on dash. I checked power, and there is nothing to it. 2. Door ceiling light also has no power to it. The fuses are not blown. I would like to fix this myself, I hope you can help.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

Those two lighting circuits are direct outputs from the instrument cluster, using dedicated "driver" circuits that are controlled directly by the cluster. Many other drivers are also used, including glove box, cargo lamp, door switch illumination, map lights and panel lamps (illumination for heated seat and power rear slider), but they're different circuits. If the rest of your illumination circuits are OK, chances are slim that you will be able to fix this with anything short of a new instrument cluster.

I know you already checked your fuses, but just for the record, the fuses used for Cluster are 1, 2, 11 and 35 as identified by numbering cast into the underhood fuse block. One fuse you may not have found lives under a black fuse holder, identified by its lifting tabs. It's called the IOD (ignition off-draw) fuse, used by some modules to reduce parasitic electrical draw on vehicles that are in storage when disconnected. I think you'd have many more features lost if the IOD happened to be blown or lifted/ disconnected, but it bears checking if you haven't been there. This circuit also powers the bottom-right terminal of the data link connector under the driver's-side dash if you'd like to verify that power is reaching that far.

Sometimes a battery disconnect of 2-3 minutes will recover electronic features lost for no apparent reason. If nothing else, give that a try if you've run out of options.

Ed

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in. Any news?

Ed