Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have an early 2004 dodge cummis I changed the fuel filter

Customer Question

I have an early 2004 dodge cummis I changed the fuel filter and drove it about 200 miles. Went to start it the next morning it would run about 20 seconds and die. So I pulled the filter back out drained the housing out and cleaned it all out put the filter back in bumped the starter and waited a few seconds and shut the key off. I did this process 5 times still wouldn't start so I pulled the filter out and there was only about a half inch of fuel in the bottom of the filter housing what could be wrong
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One time wile I was trying to start it as it was dieing it spitted and sputtered before it finaly died. I started it a number of times and it would only run 20 seconds when I finally cleaned out the housing and put it all back together and tried bumping the starter a few times that's when I only found about an inch of fuel in the bottom of the housing and into won't start at all. So u no I can't here no pump running when I turn the switch on . just a fast clicking sound under the hood while the keys on
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If there is a fault with the fuel transfer/fuel lift pump this fault will occur here as fuel will not be brought up from the fuel tank properly through the fuel filter to the main injection pump and will cause the issue.If you hear the relay clock but the fuel lift pump is not turning on I suspect the fuel lift pump itself needs replaced to correct this issue here.I can walk you through some electrical testing on this to see if we can make sure this is the cause here if you want just let me know.This will require a multi meter to test properly or a test light to do the testing.If you do not have any of these tools this will need tested by someone that does have these tools here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Pete but I already figured it out on my own it was the lift pump behind the filter housing
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

That is great to hear.If you need anything else let me know as I strive to achieve an o.k. to excellent rating and once again I do apologize for the delay and posted as soon as I saw your question myself.

Thanks Pete