Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I hv a 2004 Ram 2500 pickup with the 5.9L Turbo Cummins. It

Customer Question

I hv a 2004 Ram 2500 pickup with the 5.9L Turbo Cummins. It has run great for abt 60,000 miles. It started normally this am, ran for abt 5 mins, then quit. It looks like I've got water in my fuel. I Replaced the fuel filter after draining a lot of water from the fuel tank/filter line. Still won't start. Fuel pump seems to be running normally, runs for abt 30 secs with ignition key, then stops. Engine cranks, but won't start. What's next?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd add a bottle of 'dry fuel' to the tank as this helps the water to evaporate out

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-71867-325ml-Dry-Fuel/dp/B006I4AHNC

and also its well worth bleeding the fuel system as it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.

Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint