sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

, My 2004 Dodge Dakota, with factory installed keyless

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** *****!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is Rick. My 2004 Dodge Dakota, with factory installed keyless entry and security system has worked fine for years. Last week, the battery died. I went and bought new battery, but when I installed, I could not get the alarm system to re-set. The horn keeps honking, lights flashing, will not start, etc. HELP!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon...

Alarm (VTSS) goes off when unlocking doors with a key. Door lock cylinders no longer have door disarm circuits. The security alarm can only be disarmed with a programmed key registered to the vehicle. Once the alarm has been triggered, and valid unlock lock request is required by remote or by inserting a programmed key into the ignition and turning it to the run position. Changes to the door lock disarm functions improved the vehicles security allowing only the vehicles electronic systems to disarm with a valid programmed key.

I hope this helps,

Brad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brad, I know all this. I have the manual from the truck, because I bought it new and still own it. My question is how do I get it to re-set. I cannot re-connect the new battery without the horn going off, lights flashing, etc. and of course the truck will not start while this is going on.... Any ideas how to re-set security system?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am using the programmed key registered to the vehicle!
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

Can I get the last 8 digits of your VIN?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
4S693364
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. Had to disconnect the battery before the neighbors attacked due to horn honking! ūüė≥
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

Have you tried pressing the unlock on the remote? Also do you have a black or gray headed key?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brad, I have tried both authorized keyless remotes I have (original issue) and while the doors will lock/unlock, security system still does not turn off. Keys are all black, with orange/rust panic button on bottom, then lock button with unlock on top.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We can switch to live call of you think it will help!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

If your keys don't look like the attached picture then they aren't SKIM chip keys which is why it will not disarm. Per your VIN is a 2004 Bright Silver Dakota with a 4.7, do do have GXX sales code which is SKIM keys...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry Brad, I must be brain dead today! The remote is black, but the keys themselves are grey....
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.

Will the remote lock and unlock the doors? You have 2 ways to disarm the alarm, #1 by turning the ignition on with a Valid SKIM key, or #2 by pressing unlock with a valid remote...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brad, that is my problem. Neither of those methods is working.....
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the remote or the key will lock/unlock the doors.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

As Brad mentioned, pressing the unlock button on a key fob, unlocking a door manually or starting the engine will disarm VTSS if the system is functioning properly.

If the horn honks and lights continue to flash for two minutes regardless then you most likely have a central timer module issue.

Does the engine start and stay running or does it start, run for two seconds and die?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good morning! Sorry it isn't quite 8:00 am here in AZ, so I just woke up and got your message. FYI-as soon as I re-connect the battery, the horn honks and the lights flash incessantly. The truck will not start. I am just trying to get the truck started so I can get it to the dealership. I live 30 miles out of town on a military base, and the tow bill will be outrageous!

Does it start and die?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, it will not even engage the starter.

Do the fuel gauge and voltmeter work when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
both work when key is turned on.

Do you have the ability to do electrical testing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No

It's going to require electrical testing to determine what is going on and get the truck started.

Have you checked fuses?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have checked fuse, both in main fuse box and in unit under dash. I guess I am just going to have to tow the vehicle, since the auto skills facility on this military installation has been closed due to budget constraints.

If you had a test light or voltmeter we could do some basic testing. A scan tool may be necessary for a complete diagnosis but we could at least check starter relay inputs.